Question What is the best way to upgrade to more RAM

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
My old non-gaming Linux Dell 7010 MT, motherboard GY6Y8, 4 memory slots currently has 2x2GB of DDR3 1600MHz.
What is the best/most economical way to up that to 8/16GB, ie 2x4, 4x2, 4x4, 2x8 of this 1600Mhz RAM? What brand? Dell specs call for DDR3 DIMM 240-Pin Dual Channel Non-Ecc Unbuffered 16GB Max.
Thanks in advance!

Define "best"
Realize that ram must be matched to perform at it's advertised speeds.
Do not try to just add 8gb. It may not work well. Buy a 2 x 8gb kit replacement if the motherboard supports it.
Crucial has a ram upgrade app that could tell you what ram upgrades would be compatible.
I do not think brand should be an issue.
More important that the vendor should be able to handle any problems,

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Define "best"
Realize that ram must be matched to perform at it's advertised speeds.
Do not try to just add 8gb. It may not work well. Buy a 2 x 8gb kit replacement if the motherboard supports it.
Crucial has a ram upgrade app that could tell you what ram upgrades would be compatible.
I do not think brand should be an issue.
More important that the vendor should be able to handle any problems,
GB

By best I mean the possible combination of the sticks - does 2x4gb or 4x2 gb perform better? Or 4x4gb vs 2x8gb? Does that matter? I know that these need to be "matched", so my question would be what should I get for a total of 8gb or 16gb. What does "matching" really mean?
I have already checked the MOBO compatibilities for RAM (DDR3 1600MHz, DDR3 DIMM 240-Pin Dual Channel Non-Ecc Unbuffered 16GB Max.) but I would simply like to know how exactly to to define/what to ask for specifically when shopping online.
I will check the Crucial link.
Thanks geofelt!

From a performance point of view, you are looking at dual channel operation.
As such, performance should not differ if you have 2 sticks or 4.
The motherboard specs allow up to four 8gb sticks and a max of 32gb.

By "matched" I mean that all the ram sticks must come from the same single ram kit that has been matched at the factory. Separate sticks, even the same part number are not matched.
for 8gb, buy 2 x 4gb. For 16gb, buy 2 x 8gb.
You will find that the same capacity using 4 sticks should cost more because of the required matching that needs to be done by the ram vendor.
For example, hyperx fury 1600 cl 10 for $30:
https://www.newegg.com/hyperx-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820104447?quicklink=true

Reactions: abngton

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
To max it out, the best option is a 4x4gb kit of ram. Something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory ($64.02 @ MemoryC)
Total: $64.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-16 10:00 EST-0500

Thank you for the advice. This being a non-gaming PC, I do not think I need to max it out and would prefer a more economical option, such as 2x8GB would appear to be.

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
From a performance point of view, you are looking at dual channel operation.
As such, performance should not differ if you have 2 sticks or 4.
The motherboard specs allow up to four 8gb sticks and a max of 32gb.

By "matched" I mean that all the ram sticks must come from the same single ram kit that has been matched at the factory. Separate sticks, even the same part number are not matched.
for 8gb, buy 2 x 4gb. For 16gb, buy 2 x 8gb.
You will find that the same capacity using 4 sticks should cost more because of the required matching that needs to be done by the ram vendor.
For example, hyperx fury 1600 cl 10 for $30:
https://www.newegg.com/hyperx-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820104447?quicklink=true

Thanks again! Now I am getting somewhere with this kind of info from you. So, how much attention should I pay to the additional items in a particular ram spec, such as cas latency, "Non-Ecc" or "Unbuffered" that the Dell "RAM support list" specifies? (which, by the way, tells me that for the Optiplex 7010MT the max RAM is 16GB, but the Crucial link you kindly sent me limits that to 8gb and this really confuses me.)
Also, the only way I actually was able to identify the main board was a little white sticker with a QR code portrayed on it and the CN 0gy6y8-72200....Further info I got from Dell support (already expired) was with the PC's service tag: the max ram is 16GB.
Anyway - thank you very much for the help!

Last edited:

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
Your board is 32gb max, going by what geofelt just posted, so 2x8gb should work. My suggestion was based on the information that your board was 16gb max.

According to ALL of my research at Dell support, the mobo in this Optiplex 7010MT takes max 16gb ram. It is the Optiplex 9010(I think) that is 32gb. But how can I be sure? Other online info says it is 8 or 16 or 32gb for the same model PC.

abngton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013
OK then, thank you both for your trouble, I very much appreciate your help, especially for the guide on how to ask.... I am slowly learning. It is 4 slots 1,2,3 and 4 and I have enough info to go on now.
Take care.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS