[SOLVED] What is the cause of these reboots?

Semp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
New pc build with some old parts:
New:
Asrock phatom gaming 9 mobo
i9 9900k processor
H150i cooler
Corsair 3200mhz ddr4 ram
Corsair 275 case

Old parts:
Corsair cx750m power supply
Samsung 250gb ssd
Sata and power cables

Problem:
Bios works fine, no problems at bios and have been able to leave it like that for several hours. Once past bios, when attempting to install Windows, pc would randomly do a shutdown then reboot. After several tries, managed to install Windows, same problem present: after short random time under 2 minutes, pc will shut down and reboot. So happens during "windows failed to load last time, recovery options?" screen. Bios shows 40-42 degrees cpu temp at all times, all fans are running.

Tested both ram individually in all dimm slots, no changes.
PSU has run seemingly fine for a few years, the drive has been perfect for about 8 months.
Tested different cables, and different Sata ports, no change.
Reseated cpu - no bent pins, still using thermal paste pre applied onto the h150i as it seemed fine. No Change.

No strange smells, beeps (no beep codes at all, should I be getting some, if so how do I go about it), noises, or any error codes of any kind anywhere. Just random shutdown and no more clues. When I did have windows running, I was able to navigate around files and setting entirely normally until the moment of the shutdown, no precipitations.

Old rig was i7 4790k and ddr3, so I can't test the processor nor ram against the other system, nor the new mobo with the previous ram and processor.
Bios version is 4. 0, which supports my cpu.

The shutdown is a full power off, as in all the rbgs go off and fans stop immediately. Followed by a power on a second or two later.

I disconnected all of the front panel controls and have been using the on mobo power button just in case. No change.

Outputs used were display port first, hdmi second. No change.

Tried running with no keyboard and mouse attached, no change.

I've had so many problems just getting the parts, at this point I just want to cry, can anyone help me get a difinitive answer as to what to replace here?

Test your ram with memtest86.
It does not use windows and is a reasonable test for hardware functionality.

A failure after 2 minutes smells to me of a thermal problem.
Is your aio cooler installed properly?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle. 40-42 seems high.

Is the pump cable connected to a header that lets it run at full speed?
Is it possible that your coolant lines are blocked in some way?

If you can get hwmonitor installed and running, it will show you the current, minimum and maximum temperatures. If the max is hear 100c, you have a thermal shut down.

Can you boot windows in safe mode(F8) That will run with minimal drivers.
If you run ok in safe mode, look to driver issues.

Semp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
Test your ram with memtest86.
It does not use windows and is a reasonable test for hardware functionality.

A failure after 2 minutes smells to me of a thermal problem.
Is your aio cooler installed properly?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle. 40-42 seems high.

Is the pump cable connected to a header that lets it run at full speed?
Is it possible that your coolant lines are blocked in some way?

If you can get hwmonitor installed and running, it will show you the current, minimum and maximum temperatures. If the max is hear 100c, you have a thermal shut down.

Can you boot windows in safe mode(F8) That will run with minimal drivers.
If you run ok in safe mode, look to driver issues.
I reseated the cpu and the cooler already, I'm fairly sure they're on correctly - that and bios temp isn't raised after a reboot. The pipes are a nice curve, if I hold them they are somewhat cool and they vibrate as if things moving through them. The head definitely makes slight noise, I'm guessing normal pump noise. When I first turned it on I heard air bubbles for 15 minutes or so but they went away.
Oddly enough changing the fan speed in bios makes no different to fan speed, staying at 2100ish (I guess rpm?). The cable is only 3 pin though so I guess that's expected(??)

I can't install hwmonitor because I can't keep it on long enough to get an Internet connection. Is it at all likely that both ram sticks could be defective in exactly the same way?

I've recently found a compatibility issue with CX750M and CX850M (same platform) and certain Z3xx boards with the latest BIOS.

Trying to track down the why. All I know is that once Windows boots up, the board sends 30W of negative power back to the PSU and causes a protection latch.

Semp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
No graphics card? You're using the on chip graphics?

I've got a 1080ti and 3 other SSD drives, just wasn't connecting them in order to have a minimum working rig. Wanted to get everything working at a minimum first, then add parts later. Also didn't want to put any more parts in danger than strictly necessary...

TRENDING THREADS