Question What is the cheapest way of getting Thunderbolt 3 on my current system?

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I stumbled across a nice 8 bay storage rig, with hard drives, but it uses Thunderbolt 3 to connect to a computer. I'm wondering what the best route of getting Thunderbolt 3 on my current set up would be.

I'm on an Aorus Ultra X570, AMD Ryzen 3700X, 32 GB Gskill 3600, RTX 2070S.

I've heard that Askrock makes a $500 motherboard (X570 Creator) that has these connections, but I'm wondering if there is a quicker/cheaper way.

Thanks!

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks, all.

My mobo is rev 1, not rev 1.1 which means I either need to get a new motherboard or find something else to make this work.

Are there no other alternatives? If I were to go the new mobo route, what would you recommend? I like the Aorus Ultra I have, but I'd prefer something that has TB in the I/O if that's even possible.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you want an X570 with built in TB3 (i.e. no add in card required), only options I can find are the ASRock Creator and Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3. The former is expensive, and the latter is kind of niche (mini ITX, and uses Intel LGA 115x cooler mounting).