Question What is the cheapest way to repeat the WiFi to the immediate next house ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
BANNED
May 18, 2016
We recently purchased the immediate next house. Currently on a mission to extend my High speed wifi to there. Having 2 spare routers on Hand. Possible to use those 2 routers as repeaters? What are the steps. Among those two, one is a 'OneTouch'. Possible?

kanewolf

Titan
We recently purchased the immediate next House. Currently on a mission to extend my High speed wifi to there. Having 2 spare routers on Hand. Possible to use those 2 routers as repeaters? What are the steps. Among those two one is an 'OneTouch'. Possible?
What speed are you expecting in the second house?
You might be able to use the routers. Can you place one, with a wired connection to your primary router, as close as possible to the second house?

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
BANNED
May 18, 2016
Will be better than the band i able to receive from the source router currently
I have measured the signal from both the places. The place i am gonna keep the repeating router and also from the place where I receive the band. Currently inconsistent 1 level bar in the receiving end and full bars on the conjunction point. It will change my life. Please explain the steps. Thank You.

Then what to do with the spare routers. Not possible to use it as repeaters? Please suggest. Going on tight budget. Can't afford another device right now...
Maybe but it depends on the router. Does it have the ability to run in repeater mode. If it does not have that feature then you need different hardware.

So the first step is take some device like a phone and see how much signal you get outside the house, and then again inside the remote house. There is no magic wifi device that will get a signal that does not exist.

A repeater needs to be able to get a strong signal from the first house and still be able to send it to the second house. Lets say this was a big open field. You could place a repeater 1/2 between the main router and the remote device to extend the distance signal goes.
Obviously you can't just mount a router out in the middle of the yard between the 2 houses, you would have to get at least power there and home routers don't do so well in the rain.

So if you get ok signal outside the remote house but not inside you might try to place a router/repeater in a window on that side of the house and see if it works. If you have poor signal even outside the house you might be able to place a device in a window of the first house.

The real solution is to place special outdoor equipment on both houses but of course you would have to spend money. Likely be about $100 for a pair of outdoor bridges.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019

Check with DD wrt and Open wrt , they give you a table of all the modem s and routers you can install the firmware on . they give you plenty of new abilities , including VPN configuration and perhaps , using them as wifi repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.