[SOLVED] What is the cheapest way to upgrade my pc?

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
To be honest, I need a whole new pc. I intended to cling onto this build for as long as I can but it’s starting to drop off and I need a cheap boost to get me through the rest of this semester and summer. Currently running an i7-4790k and a GTX1060 6GB. Me being a smartass when buying my “future proof” parts ordered the CPU in LGA1150 socket instead of 1151 so no quick switches to a DDR4 supporting motherboard, stuck with DDR3. I’m struggling with cad model rendering for uni and a general performance boost would be nice anyway. Don’t have £600 to shell out on a new processor and motherboard until I’ve done some summer work though.

Solution
i had an Asus Z97 Pro Wifi, it has
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode
so if I had been mad, yes, I could have installed an nvme.

I would suggest a larger ssd as 120gb is a little cramped for windows, although it can be done... ssd is just so much belter than hdd and if you can get a 1tb or larger ssd then you could put some of the files on the other hdd onto it instead.

My current system I had planned on a 500gb nvme and a 3 tb hdd, thinking I put most info on hdd. Instead I got a 1tb nvme and the 3tb hdd, and the hdd has virtually nothing on it now. I could have gone with just 1 drive but i lost all my info a long time ago and can't just have 1 drive in pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My last pc was a I5 4690k with an ssd, it does actually make a difference. My mums pc has a hdd, and almost same speed CPU and I refuse to use it if my pc isn't working, its just so slow.

But I wouldn't suggest an nvme as it will overload CPU I think. Running virus scan on last PC would use 100% cpu on all 4 cores. Full system scans would take 2 hours, current PC longest one has run for is 20 minutes.

Reactions: Henry577

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
But I wouldn't suggest an nvme as it will overload CPU I think. Running virus scan on last PC would use 100% cpu on all 4 cores. Full system scans would take 2 hours, current PC longest one has run for is 20 minutes.

I don’t think NVMEs were even a thing or certainly weren’t anywhere near as common when my motherboard was installed. Doubt it has the compatibility even if I wanted one lol.

Got a small 120GB SSD running my operating system and essential programs at the moment.

I do have quite a full 3TB secondary HDD that must be at least 4 years old though, could a fresh start have a significant impact on speed?

I was looking at ram sticks and for £50 a pair I might as well give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode

I would suggest a larger ssd as 120gb is a little cramped for windows, although it can be done... ssd is just so much belter than hdd and if you can get a 1tb or larger ssd then you could put some of the files on the other hdd onto it instead.

My current system I had planned on a 500gb nvme and a 3 tb hdd, thinking I put most info on hdd. Instead I got a 1tb nvme and the 3tb hdd, and the hdd has virtually nothing on it now. I could have gone with just 1 drive but i lost all my info a long time ago and can't just have 1 drive in pc.

Solution

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014

Quick HDD horror story:
When GTA V was finally released on pc I left it installing overnight and throughout the day. I had preordered it when it was first available and it got delayed like twice or three times. I also had shockingly bad internet. Anyway, couldn’t wait to play it, got home from school and my pc was turned off. Weird. Nobody touched it. Turns out the hard drive fried, lost everything. That’s when I decided from now on I’d keep two drives and back up important stuff regularly. That case also had shocking airflow, I don’t know what I was thinking.

Your comment about can’t just have one drive reminded me of that one lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This used to be my internet speed
kJG5JPN.jpg

I had a PS3, I had games on there I couldn't remove because reinstalling them again took too long. 1gb took hours.

Steam games would be installed once and not removed, 16gb download would take 3 days.

For 10 years or so my biggest fear was losing the hdd that had all my music on it . Now my music is on a USB, 2 cloud servers and my PC. I am less concerned

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
This used to be my internet speed
kJG5JPN.jpg

I had a PS3, I had games on there I couldn't remove because reinstalling them again took too long. 1gb took hours.

Steam games would be installed once and not removed, 16gb download would take 3 days.

For 10 years or so my biggest fear was losing the hdd that had all my music on it . Now my music is on a USB, 2 cloud servers and my PC. I am less concerned

That sounds terrible, I’m never gonna complain about my internet speeds again! Best part about living on campus at uni is the insane 12MB download speeds. Installed COD Black Ops: Cold War in just over an hour. Can’t go back to Wi-fi after them kind of Ethernet speeds. Shame I can’t move back now thanks to this bloody virus but that’s a topic for another forum lol.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I had dial-up until I was 19 and then the miracle of "cable modem" came to my area in 1997. My fancy 28.8 modem at the time blazed at a 28.8 kilobits per second, the fastest I had up until this point! Didn't want to download too much anyway; only so many games you can fit on a cavernous 1.8 gigabyte hard drive.

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
I had dial-up until I was 19 and then the miracle of "cable modem" came to my area in 1997. My fancy 28.8 modem at the time blazed at a 28.8 kilobits per second, the fastest I had up until this point! Didn't want to download too much anyway; only so many games you can fit on a cavernous 1.8 gigabyte hard drive.

And to think daily I’m dragging and dropping CAD files to share them in seconds with lecturers and teammates without giving it a second thought. :D