Question What is the common reason for SSD failure?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have a Trascend SSD 6GB/s 128GB bought two years ago. Just a few weeks ago it didn't boot to Windows no matter how many times I tried. Finally
I tried different SATA cables and different power connectors. I also put it onto an external HDD case. At the end of the day, BIOS didn't show the drive,
Windows PE didn't show the drive. Put to an external HDD case on another computer, as an external storage. The drive wasn't seen in My Computer.

CrystalDiskInfo didn't show the drive too.

I think it was hardware failure. However, I did never drop or hit this SSD drive, and always handled with care. What is the reason for it to fail so quickly, while my other older spinning drives still going strong?

I confess that the SDD was only mounted to my PC chassis but I did never clean out the dust inside the chassis in the last two years. Two years ago I cleaned it. Was it the reason? Could dust
(when good amount) harm the drive or other computer hardware?

Lutfij

Titan
Running an SSD to it's full capacity. Defragmenting on your SSD. Running scandisk on an SSD. Having drive indexing enabled on your SSD. Creating partitions(outside of what OS needs during installation). Bad PSU. Grounding issue.

Or, like all hardware, it may have just randomly failed due to a manufacturing or design issue. You may want to check if the drive is still covered by warranty, though it might also be worth considering moving up to a larger drive now, as the prices of SSDs have been coming down.

SSDs maintain a Flash Translation Layer (FTL) which maps logical sectors (LBAs) to physical memory cells. This mapping is subject to constant change (due to wear levelling). If the FTL becomes corrupted, then the drive doesn't come ready, or it identifies itself with its factory alias. Sometimes, if one waits for long enough, the drive can repair itself.