[SOLVED] What is the correct BIOS/UEFI settings to install Windows 10 on an Asus B550 Tuf Gaming Plus motherboard?

wodan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I am unable to install win 10 (21H1) despite manipulating the bios/eufi settings in several configurations with different GPT and MBR ssds as per BIOS/UEFI settings, and enabling/disabling CSM and secure boot. Installation via usb or dvd drives only reaches up to the Windows logo screen and then freezes. Booting order is correct. I have cleared CMOS and tried unsuccessfully over many times. Memtest shows no problems with RAM. Hardwares are correctly seated and connected. Win10 was downloaded with Microsoft media creator tool. The latest bios is installed.

I am at my wits end with frustrations. My thoughts are the problem is bios/uefi settings related, and would like to learn the correct settings from anyone who has succesfully installed Win10 on this motherboard.

Any help is much appreciated.

B550 Tuf Gaming Plus
TeamGroup M.2 TM8FP6512G
Ryzen 7 3700X
Patriot Viper PC4-25600 3200mhz 2x8 GB
Antec 650W

Last edited:
Solution
I am unable to install win 10 (21H1) despite manipulating the bios/eufi settings in several configurations with different GPT and MBR ssds as per BIOS/UEFI settings, and enabling/disabling CSM and secure boot. Installation via usb or dvd drives only reaches up to the Windows logo screen and then freezes. Booting order is correct. I have cleared CMOS and tried unsuccessfully over many times. Memtest shows no problems with RAM. Hardwares are correctly seated and connected. Win10 was downloaded with Microsoft media creator tool. The latest bios is installed.

I am at my wits end with frustrations. My thoughts are the problem is bios/uefi settings related, and would like to learn the correct settings from anyone who has succesfully...

Ralston18

Titan
You are able then to access the BIOS - correct?

What BIOS is currently installed?

Configure the POST settings to be a verbose as possible. Meaning that the system will report what all is going on/happening during boot up.

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

wodan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi,

Thank you for helping out.

I have full access to the bios menu but not to safe boot as windows is not installed. It loads the files to install with the blue windows logo on but then freezes as soon as the spinning dots appear. It does that every time regardless of bios setting and using USB or DVD installation media. I've tried to no avail installing to either an M.2 or an ssd, both of which are seen in the bios.
The latest UEFI bios v 2407 is installed. Q-Led s indicate normal functioning.
I've only experimented with the booting processes of bios setting (Secure boot and CSM) one at a time and reverting to default before trying another setting. The other settings are at default, no overclocking of CPU or RAM.

I've tried CSM enabled for either UEFI or Legacy, and also a combo of both, I've enabled and disabled Secure Boot. I do not get past the spinning dots.

I wish I knew how to obtain a POST report to submit here.

I am at my wits end with frustrations. My thoughts are the problem is bios/uefi settings related, and would like to learn the correct settings from anyone who has succesfully installed Win10 on this motherboard.

Any help is much appreciated.

B550 Tuf Gaming Plus
TeamGroup M.2 TM8FP6512G
Ryzen 7 3700X
Patriot Viper PC4-25600 3200mhz 2x8 GB
Antec 650W
When I installed Win10 on my TUFB550m Gaming Plus I first updated BIOS to the latest, then did a CMOS reset then installed Windows from the media...USB drive. Once it was installed I was able to enable Safe Boot as well as the fTPM. I may be wrong but the latest BIOS updates are doing that by default, required for Win11.

My system drive was already initialized GPT. You might could hook up yours in another computer and make sure it's initialized GPT and do the same thing

Solution

wodan

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Solved!

I followed your advice with the BIOS update and CMOS reset. I finally got it going yesterday booting in EZ and normal boot mode from USB, and with all Secure boot and CSM settings enabled for UEFI .

Reactions: drea.drechsler