Question How thunderbolt 3 USB-C is able to provide 40 Gbit/s ?

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
thunderbolt 3 usb-c port speed is 40 Gbit/s , the connectivity behind that port is four lanes of PCI Express Gen 3
the four lanes of PCI Express Gen 3 operate roughly at 32 Gbps, so how thunderbolt 3 is providing 40 Gbit/s ?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would believe the short answer is that you need the active cable in order to get that kind of throughput. If you use a passive cable you can’t go more than 1 m with the cable so you will need an active cable to get the maximum data throughput

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
I would believe the short answer is that you need the active cable in order to get that kind of throughput. If you use a passive cable you can’t go more than 1 m with the cable so you will need an active cable to get the maximum data throughput

thanks for your reply, the cable has nothing to do with my question i'm talking about the maximum speed of thunderbolt 3 protocol (40 Gbit/s) vs the maximum speed of Computer bus the PCI Express 3.0 (×4 link) (32 Gbps), so the question is how thunderbolt 3 is able to provide throughput that exceed the Computer bus ?

D

Deleted member 14196

The thread title says what is the correct speed of thunderbolt three and I’ve answered that several times and I think you can figure out the rest. If you’re computer can’t handle those speeds oh well you get what you get

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
The thread title says what is the correct speed of thunderbolt three and I’ve answered that several times and I think you can figure out the rest. If you’re computer can’t handle those speeds oh well you get what you get

i don't think you have understand my question, thanks anyway, i will be waiting here for the right answer

D

Deleted member 14196

I understand what you’re asking perfectly and no there’s no magic they can give you the throughput on your PC if you can’t handle it

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
I understand what you’re asking perfectly and no there’s no magic they can give you the throughput on your PC if you can’t handle it

can you please read my question again so you can understand !, i'm not asking a question about my PC or TB3 Cables !, i'm asking a question that is about the nature of the thunderbolt 3 usb-c and how does it work,

you keep answering something that is not related to my question such as TB3 Cables , or My PC cannot handle it which does not make sense because i Do No Have a PC with TB3 !!

According to Thunderbolt site they claim that TB3 can provide speed Up To 40 Gbit/s !
But TB3 USB-C is configured with 4 PCIe lane designs which can provide only 32 Gbit/s ! (according to wikipedia)
So there is a bottleneck here !! TB3 USB-C should not be able to throughput more than 32 Gbit/s !?