Question What is the difference between base clock speed and turbo frequency?

InfinityVive

Great
BANNED
May 23, 2019
What is the difference between base clock speed and turbo frequency in intel CPUs? Because one of my CPUs which is core i5 4590 non-overclocked that has 3.30 GHz base clock speed and 3.70 GHz turbo frequency and when I take a look at the task manager it says that is the used CPU speed is 3.60 GHz~3.70 GHz which is above the base clock speed , So the turbo frequency is the actual CPU speed that should be considered before buying intel CPUs?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
What is the difference between base clock speed and turbo frequency in intel CPUs? Because one of my CPUs which is core i5 4590 non-overclocked that has 3.30 GHz base clock speed and 3.70 GHz turbo frequency and when I take a look at the task manager it says that is the used CPU speed is 3.60 GHz~3.70 GHz which is above the base clock speed , So the turbo frequency is the actual CPU speed that should be considered before buying intel CPUs?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-intel-processors-draw-more-power-than-expected-tdp-turbo

It breaks down like this: The base clock is what intel guarantees the CPU to run at under 100% load on all cores assuming thermals are in check. This what they base their TDP on. Some motherboards will enforce TDP when loaded and some will not. The stated turbo boost is what you will see when 1-2 cores are loaded. This is usually only when the CPU is sitting idle and light loads from background tasks on a couple of cores turbo up this high. This is why you'll see that all cores show the rated turbo in the max column in monitoring software. Light loads will bounce around on all cores and they will turbo up fully. In reality, when heavily loaded, the CPU will run about 300 mhz less than max turbo on all cores if the motherboard doesn't enforce the TDP. If the mother board does do this you unlock power and turbo duration limits in the BIOS. Again, assuming you have thermals in check and aren't throttling.