Question What is the difference between Fan rated voltage and voltage rating(operating range)?

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Good day,

I have an FSP FlexGURU PRO 500W flex power supply but the 40mm is just so annoying that I can hear it even when im gaming with a speaker connected. Im currently planning to swap the 40mm fan by 3d printing a 40mm to 2x40mm fan adapter so I can use slower fans and lessen the noise levels. Ive done my research and apparently, the fans are hard wired to the PCB of the power supply and I believe the easier to resolve the issue of soldering and desoldering is to simply use a 12V Molex to 3pin fan connector so that the fans can run at full speed even when there is little load on the power supply. Basically, the plan is to remove the PSU fan and then insulate the positive and negative wires dedicated for the PSU Fan and leave them inside the housing for good.

So my concern is, I was looking at a Delta AFB0412HB fan and saw these on the spec sheet:
VOLTAGE RATED: 12VDC
VOLTAGE RATING: 7.0 - 13.8 VDC

My question is, do I need to run the fans on 13.8V to achieve the CFM and pressure indicated on the spec sheet or is 12V enough to achieve them?

Thank you!

Good day,

I have an FSP FlexGURU PRO 500W flex power supply but the 40mm is just so annoying that I can hear it even when im gaming with a speaker connected. Im currently planning to swap the 40mm fan by 3d printing a 40mm to 2x40mm fan adapter so I can use slower fans and lessen the noise levels. Ive done my research and apparently, the fans are hard wired to the PCB of the power supply and I believe the easier to resolve the issue of soldering and desoldering is to simply use a 12V Molex to 3pin fan connector so that the fans can run at full speed even when there is little load on the power supply. Basically, the plan is to remove the PSU fan and then insulate the positive and negative wires dedicated for the PSU Fan and leave them inside the housing for good.

So my concern is, I was looking at a Delta AFB0412HB fan and saw these on the spec sheet:
VOLTAGE RATED: 12VDC
VOLTAGE RATING: 7.0 - 13.8 VDC

My question is, do I need to run the fans on 13.8V to achieve the CFM and pressure indicated on the spec sheet or is 12V enough to achieve them?

Thank you!
VOLTAGE RATING: 7.0v is minimum required for fan to start turning. 13.8v is maximum safe voltage.

VOLTAGE RATED: 12VDC is nominal voltage at which it gets rated RPM.