What is the difference between max screen resolution vs screen resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2020
Im looking at 2 laptops and trying to decide which to get. One says the screen resolution is 1920x1080 but max resolution is 1440x900. The other one doesnt say anything about max resolution but says the screen is 1920x1080. The specs are inconsistent throughout the amazon page and when I looked up the 14 inch on another site, it said 1920x1080.

Which of these should I get?

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-i5-8250U-Windows-81CA0008US/dp/B0752W6W4Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=lenovo+flex+15&qid=1580168627&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Convertible-Touchscreen-Processor-81SS000DUS/dp/B07TWHYTSQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5XYJOQ7YS93R&keywords=lenovo+flex+14&qid=1580168362&sprefix=lenovo+flex+,aps,-1&sr=8-3

The 15 inch also has an option between i5 512gb or i8 256gb. The 14 inch says ryzen 5 3500U

Thank you

Last edited:
I'll overload you with a lot of info.

Don't worry about the max resolution. They're both 1080p panels (so they're Full HD or 1920 x 1080). There isn't a single manufacturer that still uses 1440 x 900 panels.

Because Amazon is an online marketplace and not one store that specifically sells computers, laptops and computer parts, the technical specifications are very, very often incorrect.

Either way, the first of the two links offers 2 different specifications. They're both equipped with the i5-8250 CPU. There is no such thing as an i8 processor. That error, again, is due to Amazon not being a single entity webstore. The only difference I could find really is that there's one with a 256GB and one with a 512GB hard drive. The one with the bigger hard drive seems cheaper for some weird reason.

Let me ask you this, what are you planning to use the laptop for? The Intel CPU is technically better than the AMD one, but the integrated graphics card in the AMD one is much better than the one in the Intel one. So, if you're not playing video games, I would go for the Intel one. If you want to play games, I'd go for the AMD one.

If you want to go for the Intel one, go for this one instead: Amazon
It's technically the same laptop, but the processor has been updated. And it's 10 bucks cheaper. Possibly so that the hard drive is also faster, but Amazon isn't specific enough so I can't find that out.

Hope this helps...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: Fredjacobs111
Jan 29, 2020
I'll overload you with a lot of info.

Don't worry about the max resolution. They're both 1080p panels (so they're Full HD or 1920 x 1080). There isn't a single manufacturer that still uses 1440 x 900 panels.

Because Amazon is an online marketplace and not one store that specifically sells computers, laptops and computer parts, the technical specifications are very, very often incorrect.

Either way, the first of the two links offers 2 different specifications. They're both equipped with the i5-8250 CPU. There is no such thing as an i8 processor. That error, again, is due to Amazon not being a single entity webstore. The only difference I could find really is that there's one with a 256GB and one with a 512GB hard drive. The one with the bigger hard drive seems cheaper for some weird reason.

Let me ask you this, what are you planning to use the laptop for? The Intel CPU is technically better than the AMD one, but the integrated graphics card in the AMD one is much better than the one in the Intel one. So, if you're not playing video games, I would go for the Intel one. If you want to play games, I'd go for the AMD one.

If you want to go for the Intel one, go for this one instead: Amazon
It's technically the same laptop, but the processor has been updated. And it's 10 bucks cheaper. Possibly so that the hard drive is also faster, but Amazon isn't specific enough so I can't find that out.

Hope this helps...

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hi, Thank you for the detailed answer. Im planning on using it to back up some photos, watch youtube, use reddit, and edit photos. Just basic things. I also wanted to play rollercoaster tycoon 1 occasionally. No other games besides that, and I might not even play that as im worried about it permanently slowing down my computer. Could a computer this cheap really be used to play games? I thought those were 800+ dollars.

What I mainly want is that it has a good quality screen, and doesnt go too slow with basic tasks like watching HD videos. I was wondering why the first link costed less with a larger ssd. Maybe theyre trying to trick people into thinking theyre getting a better processor,

What exactly does a processor do? Is that what could make the computer run slow?

Hey, you're welcome. Glad to be able to help.

You're talking about Roller Coaster Tycoon 1. Your laptop, if anything, will be too new to play it. Playing games won't slow down your laptop. There's a chance of the SSD (storage) working at lower speeds the more the drive fills up, but it shouldn't be noticeable in daily work, only when moving large (amounts of) files. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 is so old even a new graphing calculator or a smartwatch could play it. But to be clear, playing games itself should never permanently affect performance.

The laptops you showed are more than capable doing the tasks you said you'd give it. Browsing/editing videos/watching HD videos should all be more than easy work for this laptop. Even 4K videos on YouTube should run fine.

What does a processor actually do? Man, that's a good question. I could try answer this as best I can, but HP has posted an article that explains it better than I could: https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/what-is-processor-speed

To answer your question if a processor could make a computer slow, no, not exactly. If your processor in contrast to the rest of your system is much lower specced, it'll create a bottleneck. You could have top-of-the-line storage, RAM memory and a killer graphics card that could cost multiple thousands but if your processor is slow, the bottleneck will affect the entire experience negatively.

Hope this answers some, hopefully all questions so far. Keep them coming if you have more! :)

Jan 29, 2020
Hey, you're welcome. Glad to be able to help.

You're talking about Roller Coaster Tycoon 1. Your laptop, if anything, will be too new to play it. Playing games won't slow down your laptop. There's a chance of the SSD (storage) working at lower speeds the more the drive fills up, but it shouldn't be noticeable in daily work, only when moving large (amounts of) files. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 is so old even a new graphing calculator or a smartwatch could play it. But to be clear, playing games itself should never permanently affect performance.

The laptops you showed are more than capable doing the tasks you said you'd give it. Browsing/editing videos/watching HD videos should all be more than easy work for this laptop. Even 4K videos on YouTube should run fine.

What does a processor actually do? Man, that's a good question. I could try answer this as best I can, but HP has posted an article that explains it better than I could: https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/what-is-processor-speed

To answer your question if a processor could make a computer slow, no, not exactly. If your processor in contrast to the rest of your system is much lower specced, it'll create a bottleneck. You could have top-of-the-line storage, RAM memory and a killer graphics card that could cost multiple thousands but if your processor is slow, the bottleneck will affect the entire experience negatively.

Hope this answers some, hopefully all questions so far. Keep them coming if you have more! :)
Do those choices of graphics cards/processors really make a difference if youre not playing games? On your first post you said the intel is better than the AMD if youre not gaming, what makes one better for gaming and the other better for other tasks?
Does that mean the AMD is better for watching HD videos also if its better for games? I also plan on backing up 4k videos to an external drive with the computer. ( if that makes a difference in which I should get)

Sorry I have so many questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them and posting those links.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.