What is the difference between the time it takes to change pixel colors (response time) and refresh rate?

hassan.kassir002

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
This thing has been bothering me for a year and everytime i ask i get the same stupid answer which makes it more complicated. The time it takes to change pixel color (response time) and the number of frames can be displayed in a second (refresh rate) is like saying the time it takes for a car to reach a specific distance (response time) and the distance the car can cross in a specific amount of time. But apparently, there is no relation between the two, it is their definition that is confusing me. Their definition makes it seem like they are the same. Each frame has different colors, Thus changing frames is changig colors (refresh rate) but response time is the time to change color WHICH IS EXACTLY THE SAME. Please i am begging you to explain response time in a different way.

Solution

The refresh rate is the rate at which new images are drawn to the screen. The response time is the amount of time it takes for the pixels to switch between showing the previous image and showing the new image. After the pixels have finished changing (that is, after the response time has passed), the new image still stays on the screen for a while afterward, until the next refresh cycle (whenever that is). The screen doesn't refresh again as soon as the pixels have finished changing.

Solution