What is the difference between the Windows 10 Home (64-Bit) for Dell iso and a standard Windows 10 Home - 64-Bit iso?

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
I'm swapping out the hard drive on a Inspiron 7359 2-in-1 for a larger SSD and the computer in question is refurbished, so no recovery media.

I went to Dell's website and found that I can enter the service tag number to download a Dell Windows Recovery Image for Windows 10 Home 64 bit. There are two of them though, one that is "for Dell" and the other appears to be standard. Anyone know the difference? I doubt the Dell ISO file would have device specific drivers so I assume that it just has the OS plus things like Dell specific software, recovery partitions, etc?

After downloading the two files (FOR DELL 6.1GB, STANDARD 6.6GB) and talking with Dell Home Support, they say the only difference is that the FOR DELL version won't ask for a product key after installation... Seems like a small difference for 500MB...

Solution
Main advantage to Dell ISO is still drivers. wonder if he should just skip the licence page, the dell ISO may do that auto. PC should reactivate based on it having same parts as last time, hdd isn't a massive change.

its a toss up as to who would have never versions of all the drivers, dell or Microsoft. They probably the same ones.

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Then I wonder why the "standard" version I downloaded from Dell is 6.6GB then... I doubt it would contain updates / patches. The version directly from Microsoft is 4GB, so I will burn the ISO to a disc and go that way. Really wish Dell could tell me why there is such a difference between the two files they provided, compared to the version I got from Microsoft. I wonder if the file size difference could be language packs or the like? Microsoft's website made me choose a language to download.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe the dell one has 32 & 64 bit versions of Win 10. or its just got 3gb of dell bloatware on it, which is probably more likely. AV trials, dell backup software, driver updaters.. even Office trials I guess.

I wonder if the Dell version has same version number as standard ISO, it might be older still.

The Dell representative was correct. The Dell branded recovery disks will query the BIOS for the embedded key, and if it is present, and correct, will bypass the need to activate via Microsoft's servers. They will also contain additional Dell utilities and drivers.

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Well, I mounted the two Dell provided ISO files and have found a few differences.

The STANDARD 6.6GB Windows 10 iso has an updates folder with a Window10.0-KB3140768-x64.msu cummulative update clocking in at 586MB

The STANDARD has a windows10.0-kb3139907-x64.msu file in a SERVICESTACK folder. Appears to be another update at 12MB.

And finally it has a DRIVERS folder at 600MB. Inside I see mainly drivers for chipset, audio, camera, graphics, etc.

Don't see any bloatware in either...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The standard one you mention above is version 1511, the Microsoft iso should be version 1607. The big difference is the win 10 iso will include that cumulative update already as well as the two that came today whereas the standard one you would need to update it to 1607 via windows update.

Drivers is also an obvious difference.

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

These Dell drivers wouldn't be product specific, would they? Seems like a bit of a task to release ISO files with a Windows OS and drivers for every model of laptop / desktop they sell.

So if I install the standard ISO file provided Microsoft, I'll need to find the OS product key then. I don't remember seeing it on the system itself so I may have to run a VB script to get it from the computer.

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

So you're saying the 4GB ISO file I got from Microsoft will be the most up to date (even though the file size is smaller comparatively to the other two ISO files)? Is it because the updates in question in the other 6.6GB ISO file are already integrated into the Microsoft ISO versus being standalone update files?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think you need to use the dell ones as I doubt the standard Win 10 install will query the bios for the product key. I don't think it is physically on your device, they usually put sticker under battery in laptops but not sure about your device. I don't know how specific drivers are on recovery disc.

Once you have win 10 on, I would go to this page and click update now, this will download the update assistant that will dl the latest version of win 10.

1. The drivers and utilities on the Dell discs are for the models that ship with Windows 10, not every model ever sold.
2. Starting with Windows 8 you will not longer see a COA sticker, the activation key is embedded in the firmware of the motherboard. The embedded key cannot be used to activate via the Microsoft servers, it will only work with the Dell branded discs.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Yes. Its a new version, all previous upgrades are integrated into it. I would install using dell discs and then update using that ISO if you have it already.

Actually this is incorrect. Since this PC shipped with Windows 10, you never have to activate it ever again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Main advantage to Dell ISO is still drivers. wonder if he should just skip the licence page, the dell ISO may do that auto. PC should reactivate based on it having same parts as last time, hdd isn't a massive change.

its a toss up as to who would have never versions of all the drivers, dell or Microsoft. They probably the same ones.

Solution

ddmeightball

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

So I ended up installing the FOR DELL ISO file and installing the device specific drivers. The other ISO, the 6.6GB one ended up with just some generic Dell drivers for their most common components so I figured since I'd have to install the specific drivers anyway, I might as well start with them.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts