what is the difference in 2500/7300 with SMS?

In article <20040407105015.2dba6d26.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> see subject

The 7300 has true SMS, the RL 2500 doesnt. There have been reports
(http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) that firmware upgrade could give it
to the RL2500, but its now months past the alleged date for for that
update.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:24:36 GMT
"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:

> In article <20040407105015.2dba6d26.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
> fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > see subject
>
> The 7300 has true SMS, the RL 2500 doesnt. There have been reports
> (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) that firmware upgrade could give it
> to the RL2500, but its now months past the alleged date for for that
> update.

hey looking at that site, theres a code to increase the data rate for the RL2500
and VM4500, but NOT for the 7300. what gives? now i dont wanna get the 7300
cuz of that.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:47:32 -0400
"tom ronson" <tonostuff@blahoo.com> wrote:

> "fusQuanto" <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
> > hey looking at that site, theres a code to increase the data rate for the
> RL2500
> > and VM4500, but NOT for the 7300. what gives? now i dont wanna get the
> 7300
> > cuz of that.
>
> 2 things --- the first is that there is cap on the cell end, to the best of
> my knowledge, making that setting kinda useless. The second is that code
> also works on the 7300 (just looked at it on my phone).
>
> As a side note, for those looking over our shoulders -- ##786 does more on a
> 7300 than a 4900. Besides listing the phones lifetime data and PRL and the
> like there's a self test mode and a service screen --- which looks like it
> spits out raw signal data from the cell site.

thx for the info. do you know what hte difference is in true SMS and the not so
true SMS that the 2500 has?

In article <20040407113710.01c2e43a.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:24:36 GMT
> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <20040407105015.2dba6d26.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
> > fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> > > see subject
> >
> > The 7300 has true SMS, the RL 2500 doesnt. There have been reports
> > (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) that firmware upgrade could give it
> > to the RL2500, but its now months past the alleged date for for that
> > update.
>
> hey looking at that site, theres a code to increase the data rate for the
> RL2500
> and VM4500, but NOT for the 7300. what gives? now i dont wanna get the 7300
> cuz of that.

That change (there was a long thread on it) will make zero difference in
the rate yoy get from the network.

In article <rmarkoff-97EA96.11243507042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:

> In article <20040407105015.2dba6d26.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
> fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > see subject
>
> The 7300 has true SMS, the RL 2500 doesnt. There have been reports
> (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com) that firmware upgrade could give it
> to the RL2500, but its now months past the alleged date for for that
> update.

As I understand it ShortMail is a form of email, that goes through
Sprint's Servers and requires you to be online to send or receive. SMS
is phone to phone.

In article <20040407115557.663c23bf.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com says...
> thx for the info. do you know what hte difference is in true SMS and the not so
> true SMS that the 2500 has?

What Phillie already said basically. 2-Way SMS is based right on the
phone itself, while Shortmail exists online. It's like the
difference between your ISP's email or your work email that you use
Outlook (or whichever email application is in use), and, for example,
Yahoo! Mail that you use a web browser to read. As with Shortmail,
you have to actually be online to use. More like your ISP, your 2-
Way SMS runs off a client program put into the phone, just as
Outlook, Eudora, or whatever exists on the PC.

HTH

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:37:12 GMT
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <20040407115557.663c23bf.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
> fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com says...
> > thx for the info. do you know what hte difference is in true SMS and the
> > not so true SMS that the 2500 has?
> >

> What Phillie already said basically. 2-Way SMS is based right on the
> phone itself, while Shortmail exists online. It's like the
> difference between your ISP's email or your work email that you use
> Outlook (or whichever email application is in use), and, for example,
> Yahoo! Mail that you use a web browser to read. As with Shortmail,
> you have to actually be online to use. More like your ISP, your 2-
> Way SMS runs off a client program put into the phone, just as
> Outlook, Eudora, or whatever exists on the PC.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> RØß
> O/Siris
> I work for Sprint PCS
> I *don't* speak for them

i went ahead and swapped out my 2500 for the 7300. much happier, and not just
cuz of SMS either.

In article <20040408095940.1987c007.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> i went ahead and swapped out my 2500 for the 7300. much happier, and not just
> cuz of SMS either.

Other than the rubberized coating and the SMS capability, is there
anything else you prefer about the 7300? I know of no other difference,
did I miss something?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Group: alt.cellular.sprintpcs Date: Thu, Apr 8, 2004, 3:07pm (EST+5)
From: rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.)
<<did I miss something? >>

Yeah. Reality... it passed you by.

> i went ahead and swapped out my 2500 for the 7300. much happier, and not just
> cuz of SMS either.

If I may ask, how was the swap accomplished? Private party, SprintPCS store,
retail store? I may want to swap in the near future and would like to know
how this is done.

John Richards

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(John Richards) wrote:
<<If I may ask, how was the swap accomplished? Private party, SprintPCS
store, retail store? I may want to swap in the near future and would
like to know how this is done.
John Richards >>

It can be done at any store that sells Sprint PCS products... or you can
buy an unactivated phone and do a swap (known as an ESN swap) over a
landline phone or by calling *2 on the phone you are swapping *from*.
You will need the serial number of the new phone you are switching to.

I have had a couple swaps done previously at Radio Shack as well as a
Sprint PCS affiliate store.

Eric

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:47:52 GMT
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > i went ahead and swapped out my 2500 for the 7300. much happier, and not
> > just cuz of SMS either.
>
> If I may ask, how was the swap accomplished? Private party, SprintPCS store,
> retail store? I may want to swap in the near future and would like to know
> how this is done.
>
> John Richards

sprint corporate store, no questions asked. it had only been 1 day

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:07:12 GMT
"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:

> In article <20040408095940.1987c007.fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com>,
> fusQuanto <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> > i went ahead and swapped out my 2500 for the 7300. much happier, and not
> > just cuz of SMS either.
>
> Other than the rubberized coating and the SMS capability, is there
> anything else you prefer about the 7300? I know of no other difference,
> did I miss something?

the button layout, and one of hte ringers that sounds like a nuclear alarm alert
for a city or somethign