What is the difference in speed between the i7 and quad core??

queencocobrown

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
:bounce: Hi again. I just want to know what is the difference in speed between a i7 2.66 ghz and quad core 2.66 ghz? If I just surf the net, download videos and music and play an occasional game every now and then, would i see the difference?

:D I know. I know. I posted a couple of days ago in regards to what computer would be best for me. Many say that what I want to get is over kill. However, my hubby really want either quad or i7 due to the fact that he does not want to upgrade or have any technical problems anytime soon.

:D So, basically the question really is based on what we are doing now, which one would be faster? Is their a large difference being that their ghz are the same? :pt1cable:

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
For what you are doing now, you won't see any difference between a Core2 Quad and an i7.

If your husband really wants a quad core processor, my suggestion is for you to wait, till September, just a few months away and see what Lynnfield brings to the table. I don't want to use "i5", because Intel has stated Lynnfield will not be called "i5".