What is the difference in the two ASUS 7850s?

crm810

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Just noticed there are two non-top versions out of Asus's 7850:
- HD7850-DC2-2GD5
- HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2

The V2 model seems to have just come out and there are no comments on its product page on Amazon or Newegg. Only difference I see is they reworked some of I/O ports.

Anyone know the story on this? Thanks!

Solution
What you see appears to be all that was done. The only noticeable differences between the two cards are the out put options and the clock speeds. You lose a DisplayPort, but gain a new DVI, as well as losing 10MHz on the core clock and the Effective Memory Clock (as well as .04GBps) resulting in the V2 costing $10 less. There will not be any noticeable differences in performance between the two models, I think Asus just decided to opt for the additional DVI rather than the DisplayPort.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
What you see appears to be all that was done. The only noticeable differences between the two cards are the out put options and the clock speeds. You lose a DisplayPort, but gain a new DVI, as well as losing 10MHz on the core clock and the Effective Memory Clock (as well as .04GBps) resulting in the V2 costing $10 less. There will not be any noticeable differences in performance between the two models, I think Asus just decided to opt for the additional DVI rather than the DisplayPort.

Solution

crm810

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Ah, thanks. That's all I could find too. I'd been watching the price drift upwards and availability go down on the older model for a couple months now, wondering what the heck was going on. I guess the V2 was just some tidying up with no major changes to the card.

Was looking around and it looks like they did it with a few of their other cards as well, like the 7870. Maybe they're trying to make the ports more like nVidia's cards by having a full-sized DisplayPort instead of the 2 minis.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

That is a possibility. I honestly don't know too many people that need dual DisplayPort, it seems to be a very specific crowd, and dual DVI seems to be more common anyway with the average house hold dual monitor set-up.