[SOLVED] What is the fastest 4G LTE Router?

Aug 1, 2019
My only option for internet is to use a 4G router. For the last year and a half I've used the latest MOFI 4500 Sim4 unit on the Verizon network. I'm using the stock antennas and averaging about 40mb down and 10mb up. A few months back I purchased an unlocked Netgear Nighthawk M1100 and changed the settings so it would run on the Verizon network. That actually worked great because I was getting 70-110mb download speeds but for whatever reason, the Verizon network kept kicking it off it seemed. It was a constant struggle to keep that unit working, possibly due to it originally being an AT&T unit which was unlocked. I know the Nighthawk was one of the few LTE units that had 3x3 capability which probably improved speeds. It shocked me that it could achieve those speeds all with internal antennas. Anywas, is there any other unit that will stay online and give the absolute fastest speeds (on Verizon) like the Nighthawk did?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it needs to have an ethernet out jack as I plug the unit into an EERO mesh network.

Last edited:
Solution
Generally you best option is to use a USB modem that is supported by a router. You have to look through the lists on the routers to see which modem and which ISP are supported. TPLINK and ASUS have a fairly large list. The largest list is dd-wrt but then you must load third party firmware. So I would look though the list of modem verizon supports. Finding a actual router is tricky because the cell providers run on so many different frequencies and there is not a huge market for these type of router devices so you have very limited selection.

The main advantage of a USB modem is you can take a 15ft usb cable and put it in the window where it get best signal without having to put your router there.

If you got 100mb on LTE...
Generally you best option is to use a USB modem that is supported by a router. You have to look through the lists on the routers to see which modem and which ISP are supported. TPLINK and ASUS have a fairly large list. The largest list is dd-wrt but then you must load third party firmware. So I would look though the list of modem verizon supports. Finding a actual router is tricky because the cell providers run on so many different frequencies and there is not a huge market for these type of router devices so you have very limited selection.

The main advantage of a USB modem is you can take a 15ft usb cable and put it in the window where it get best signal without having to put your router there.

If you got 100mb on LTE that is huge most times I am happy if I can get 50. It all depends on how close to the tower you are and how congested the tower is. The ones near major highways tend have issues during rush hour.

Maybe look into if you happen to be in the coverage area for the 5g service from any provider.

Solution