[SOLVED] what is the fastest GPU that I can get for my AMD-FX8350 Black CPU?

Mrn00b

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
Hey everyone,

I have an ASUS https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/970-PRO-GAMING-AURA/ motherboard 2x8 gigs of DDR3 ram currently running a https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-r9-280-windforce-3x-oc.b2880 video card. I am looking to upgrade the video card to something faster that will allow me to play 1080 games at better graphics quality and higher framerates and of course DX12 would not be bad either. What is the fastest card I can get for this machine without bottlenecking/wasting money?

Thank you!

Steve

Solution
That entirely depends on the game. In older games that can properly utilize AMD FX CPU's id say anything more than a RTX 2060 or RX 5700 would go to waste. In more modern games even those are likely to be heavily bottlenecked by an FX CPU. If you had a higher resolution monitor something like a 2060 might be worth getting because at higher resolutions more load will be on the GPU as opposed to the CPU.

Personally I would stick with the 280 for now and save up for a new GPU and a switch to a modern AMD Ryzen or intel platform. By that time the next round of GPU's from nvidia will likely be out giving you more choice in the GPU department.

If you really want to upgrade the GPU and not have it's potential go to waste in most games then...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That entirely depends on the game. In older games that can properly utilize AMD FX CPU's id say anything more than a RTX 2060 or RX 5700 would go to waste. In more modern games even those are likely to be heavily bottlenecked by an FX CPU. If you had a higher resolution monitor something like a 2060 might be worth getting because at higher resolutions more load will be on the GPU as opposed to the CPU.

Personally I would stick with the 280 for now and save up for a new GPU and a switch to a modern AMD Ryzen or intel platform. By that time the next round of GPU's from nvidia will likely be out giving you more choice in the GPU department.

If you really want to upgrade the GPU and not have it's potential go to waste in most games then I wouldn't get anything more powerful than a GTX1660 Super. But again in modern games, it's likely to be held back by the CPU. A good CPU overclock could help mitigate the CPU bottlenecking slightly.

Solution