What is the fastest Video card for.....

moed

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I was wondering if there is any guru out there that knows of the fastest video card with the largest amount of VRAM that was ever made to work on the AGP 1.0 spec.

In other words, what's the best all-around G Card ever made to work on the original AGP 1.0 spec.

The reason I ask is because I am a tech and a private client of mine (an older gentleman that DOES NOT for some reason of his own, want to buy a newer system with the latest and greatest) wants to upgrade his G Card to the fastest possible and his system happens to have an AGP 1.0 slot.

I have access to a few mom & pop computer stores that may have one of those cards for a very cheap price. This client insists that "that is all I need" as far as his system needs go.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
You might want to try the ati 9600xt ot the 9800 xt, I believe that they have sm1.0, they are the best original cards made from ati. First, try the 9600xt, if no luck, try the 9800 xt. I owned that card for several years and it has never failed on me. even on high intense games, it still performes well. :wink:

moed

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, the motherboard is an off-brand proprietary one that only has 2(!!) PCI slots and they're filled up with peripherals that the client absolutely needs (he has a SOHO).

And even if he did have an open PCI slot, even though those suggested PCI cards are of much newer generation than his AGP configuration, the PCI bus is significantly slower than the max AGP 2x that is capable of the AGP 1.0 spec.

Yes, I know that an older AGP 1.0 compatable card may not be DirectX 9 capable, but this client needs decent graphics but the highest graphics I/O speed possible. And hopefully the ability to also impliment a minimum of 2x FSAA and Aniso filtering.

Any more suggestions?

cleeve

Illustrious
Don't get hung up on the bus, it's the chipset that counts.

However... Luckily for your client, I found an old chart that shows that a 9700 PRO is compatible with the 3.3v AGP 1.0 spec; it's by far the best card an AGP 1.0 system can take, regardless of the bus, even better than a 5700 LE.

Time to look for a used 9700 PRO on ebay, mate...

Ian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Isn't an AGP 1.0 slot physically different than an AGP 4x/8x? nm, I think it might work....

AGP 1.0 calls for a notch in the buss in one location
AGP 2.0 calls for a notch in another

meh, now I don't know.. finding conflicting results... some websites say that it wont work, 3.3v vs 0.8v etc, agp 1.0 slot size, the divider is in a different spot etc, and then others say that they got a 5200 to work etc...

I have no idea..

That would be funny... 9800 Pro running at AGP 1x.... :lol:

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Take a look at the spec for the 9600 and 9800 ATI. With AGP I would stay with ATI. PCI-E maybe not ATI I'll only had three ATI cards so far.

Product Name RADEON 9600 XT
ASIC RADEON 9600

Technology Features

SMARTSHADER™ 2
SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1
FULLSTREAM™ Real, DivX
Adaptive De-Interlace VIDEOSHADER™
HYDRAVISION™ Yes
Hardware MPEG Encode Assist -
CrossFire™ Ready N/A

Specifications

Bus Type AGP 4X, 8X
Memory Amount (MB) 128
Memory Type DDR1
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 300
Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 500
Pipelines 4
Pixel Fillrate 2.0 Gpixels/sec
Geometry Rate* 250 MTriangles
--------------------------------------------
Product Name RADEON 9800 XT
ASIC RADEON 9800

Technology Features

SMARTSHADER™ 2.1
SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1
FULLSTREAM™ Real, DivX
Adaptive De-Interlace VIDEOSHADER™
HYDRAVISION™ Yes
Hardware MPEG Encode Assist -
CrossFire™ Ready N/A

Specifications

Bus Type AGP 4X, 8X
Memory Amount (MB) 256
Memory Type DDR1
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 365
Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 412
Pipelines 8
Pixel Fillrate 3.3 Gpixels/sec
Geometry Rate* 412 MTriangles
--------------------------------------

If this one will work it is the best need to know more about you motherboard.

Product Name RADEON X850 XT PLATINUM EDITION AGP
ASIC RADEON X850

Technology Features

SMARTSHADER™ HD
SMOOTHVISION™ HD
FULLSTREAM™ Real, DivX
Adaptive De-Interlace VIDEOSHADER™ HD
HYDRAVISION™ Yes
Hardware MPEG Encode Assist Yes
CrossFire™ Ready N/A

Specifications

Bus Type AGP 4X, 8X
Memory Amount (MB) 256
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 590
Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 540
Pipelines 16
Pixel Fillrate 8.6 Gpixels
Geometry Rate* 810 MTriangles

cleeve

Illustrious
The 9700 PROs were made to physically fit in the 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x AGP slots.

Come to think of it, I remember an old review of a Radeon 9700 PRO on an old Asus P2B board - I think it's at Digit Life.

The 9600 and 9800 will not work in an AGP 1.0 slot though...

TRENDING THREADS