[SOLVED] What is the function of integrated GPU?

PeyoteFTW

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
My IGPU is Radeon Vega 8, and my other GPU is Nvidia GTX 1650. When i am playing a game my laptop automatically use Nvidia GPU. I have few question to ask :

1 What is the function of IGPU ?
2 Does IGPU help your main GPU (Nvidia) to run a game to make it get better performance ?
3. Or maybe both of them have different function ?

Solution
Also, note this.

An integrated graphics processing unit (GPU) doesn't use its own RAM; it utilizes the system's memory instead. So, if you have a computer with 4GB of RAM, the video card can use anywhere between one and five percent of the available memory for graphics processing. Of course, this percentage varies depending on the size of task, especially if you're multitasking or playing a game.

These graphics cards don’t generate as much heat or consume as much power, so you can save on battery life. If you use your PC for everyday graphics processing, video editing, and word processing, an integrated GPU is certainly up to the task

A dedicated, or discrete, GPU has its own independent source of video memory...
No, the iGPU is totally different than the actual GPU. That's integrated graphics for light task, office work, web browsing etc. You can switch between the iGPU and GPU as well.

If you want to play games, then enable the Nvidia GPU, or the laptop will automatically switch to it. igpu doesn't help the Nvidia GPU though, in a direct way.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeyoteFTW
My IGPU is Radeon Vega 8, and my other GPU is Nvidia GTX 1650. When i am playing a game my laptop automatically use Nvidia GPU. I have few question to ask :

2 Does IGPU help your main GPU (Nvidia) to run a game to make it get better performance ?
  1. Your dedicated graphics consume more power than the Vega 8. When not running a game, the laptop will use the Integrated Vega 8 for better battery life.
  2. The IGPU does not help games running on your 1650.
A little side note. The only time an IGPU is useful for gaming in combo with a GTX1650 would be for streaming. The IGPU can encode video and things like that for streaming.

Last edited:
Also, note this.

An integrated graphics processing unit (GPU) doesn't use its own RAM; it utilizes the system's memory instead. So, if you have a computer with 4GB of RAM, the video card can use anywhere between one and five percent of the available memory for graphics processing. Of course, this percentage varies depending on the size of task, especially if you're multitasking or playing a game.

These graphics cards don’t generate as much heat or consume as much power, so you can save on battery life. If you use your PC for everyday graphics processing, video editing, and word processing, an integrated GPU is certainly up to the task

A dedicated, or discrete, GPU has its own independent source of video memory, leaving the RAM your system uses untouched. If you have a GeForce GTX 680M video card with 2GB of video memory, for example, that memory is completely separate from your computer's 8GB of system memory. Dedicated cards are perfect if you are into serious gaming or are a professional graphic designer.

Cards such as these are great for hardcore gaming or graphic design. However, dedicated graphics cards do have their drawbacks. Without a compatible design or a good fan, this kind of graphics card can get warm quickly. This card will also be power-hungry and drain your PC’s battery life.

Last edited:
Solution

PeyoteFTW

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
  1. Your dedicated graphics consume more power than the Vega 8. When not running a game, the laptop will use the Integrated Vega 8 for better battery life.
  2. The IGPU does not help games running on your 1650.
A little side note. The only time an IGPU is useful for gaming in combo with a GTX1650 would be for streaming. The IGPU can encode video and things like that for streaming.

Is it fine to only install driver for my nvidia GPU and not for my amd IGPU or i have to install driver for both of them ?

Aug 18, 2019

Agree with Metal here, your computer has a 2 Chips the Intel Integrated Graphics and the Nvidia Discrete GPU

Now of course to save battery or get more juice on your battery the Nvidia OPTIMUS detects what kind of application your using and these software been going on before, however these Optimus Technology are not all implemented on all laptops they are only selected depending on the manufacturer as well.

So OPTIMUS checks what app your using either browsing or gaming for example. so if your browsing only the OPTIMUS switches and uses the Intel Integrated Graphics so that it will now consume LESS power on the Battery, it saves you more since you don't need a powerful GPU to run a browser as well, however if you do games it will switch to the Nvidia GPU since the games will require more power since games are more reliant to the Discrete Graphics than the Intel Integrated Graphics.