[SOLVED] What is the highest refresh rate I can get out of my monitor via HDMI and at what resolution?

Feb 29, 2020
My monitor is BENQ ZOWIE XL2411P and my laptop is ASUS TUF GAMING FX504. I believe I can only get 60hz @1080p but I'd like to know how many hz I can get at say, 1440×1080 or 1400×1050 resolution. Thanks!

Solution
I have set to perform on the display. When I try to change my refresh rate and press "test" my screen goes black and reverts to the old refresh rate after 10 or 15 seconds (because I cant press save). If I try to set the refresh rate to over 130hz my monitor says "out of range". I have a feeling that this has something to do with me updating my graphics card driver, but I find it strange that when I reinstalled the old one again, it still doesn't work..
Are you restarting the computer between driver installs?

Also when you set a custom resolution make sure you set the timing standard to CVT Reduced Blank (CVT-RB).
Feb 29, 2020
It's a 144 HZ refresh rate monitor so you should get that at any resolution up to 1920 X 1080 which is its maximum.

Andy
I accidentally left out the part that I only have HDMI available since I'm using a laptop. I was previously able to get 120hz at 1440x1080 resolution, but now I can get only 90hz on said resolution. I can still get 120hz at 1024x768 resolution. Also I can only get 90hz on native resolution.

Feb 29, 2020
XL2411 family is limited to ≈200 Mpx/s over HDMI, so 90 Hz at 1080p is the best you will get.
Are you saying the that the highest refresh rate I can get at 1440x1080 is 90hz? Because I had 120hz at 1440x1080 before but after updating my graphics card driver I'm only able to get up to 90hz, even after reinstalling the previus driver.

Feb 29, 2020
Make sure your scaling is set to perform on the display, not the GPU.

View: https://i.imgur.com/xXc3ZYJ.jpg
I have set to perform on the display. When I try to change my refresh rate and press "test" my screen goes black and reverts to the old refresh rate after 10 or 15 seconds (because I cant press save). If I try to set the refresh rate to over 130hz my monitor says "out of range". I have a feeling that this has something to do with me updating my graphics card driver, but I find it strange that when I reinstalled the old one again, it still doesn't work..

Are you restarting the computer between driver installs?

Also when you set a custom resolution make sure you set the timing standard to CVT Reduced Blank (CVT-RB).

Solution