[SOLVED] What is the ideal arrangement of fans?

Mar 7, 2022
My config is

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

Motherboard: Asus Ex A320M gaming

Ram: Gskill Ripjaws 1 X 8GB

Graphics Card: Gtx 1050Ti - Zotac Mini

PSU: Ant Esports VS500L 500 Watt

PC case: Antec P7 Window

There is a pre-installed 120mm fan on the rear of the case. And I have a 140mm fan for the front. Now should I set up the arrangement for positive air pressure(i.e. both the rear and front should intake air) or negative air pressure(i.e. both the rear and front should act as exhaust)?

For a very long time, my PC was under negative air pressure, where both the fans were removing the air out of the case.

Recently I changed the direction of the airflow of the rear fan to intake the air, and the front fan to remove the air out. Please share your suggestions.

Solution
Nice case.

First of all, your parts are not overly hot so most any fan arrangement will do.
With your current fans, Mount the 140 fan in front as intake, and the rear 120 as exhaust.

For best cooling , perhaps for a future upgrade, I would simply add a second front 140mm intake.
That is what is called a positive pressure arrangement.
That is, where all of the intake airflow comes from just one source.
Whatever air that comes in the front will eventually exit the case, taking component heat with it.
The purpose of the 120mm exhaust fan is mainly to direct the airflow past the cpu cooler, motherboard and gpu.
As a plus, since all incoming air is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Nice case.

First of all, your parts are not overly hot so most any fan arrangement will do.
With your current fans, Mount the 140 fan in front as intake, and the rear 120 as exhaust.

For best cooling , perhaps for a future upgrade, I would simply add a second front 140mm intake.
That is what is called a positive pressure arrangement.
That is, where all of the intake airflow comes from just one source.
Whatever air that comes in the front will eventually exit the case, taking component heat with it.
The purpose of the 120mm exhaust fan is mainly to direct the airflow past the cpu cooler, motherboard and gpu.
As a plus, since all incoming air is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.

Reactions: seriouseditview
Solution
The one thing I think makes for an ideal arrangement is make the airflow conceptually 1 dimension. That is, air should flow through one side, and only one side, and flow out through one side, and only one side. But since most cases aren't built like wind tunnels, lay the case on its side, split it up into quadrants (i.e., top-front, top-rear, bottom-front, bottom-rear) and make sure that an intake and exhaust fan are not in the same quadrant. Also keep in mind of your hardware's arrangement where it may create channels or blockages.

As an example with my computer, which uses a Fractal Design Meshify C, I have two large fans in the front spaced in a way that the front fan towards the top blows towards the CPU and the front fan towards the bottom blows most of its air underneath the GPU. I do have an exhaust fan on the rear and top rear position, but I'm starting to think one of them is redundant. The idea is that I have two single-direction air channels. One thing of note, while the case has a fan mount on the top towards the front, I leave it empty. Putting an exhaust fan there just steals the air from the front intake fans and putting an intake there is redundant since the front intake is already creating a movement of air, which causes air non-moving air to be drawn to it (thanks Bernoulli's principle)

Reactions: seriouseditview