[SOLVED] What is the ideal range of room temperature for gaming PC?

Aug 19, 2020
I used to stay in my room where the room temperature is around 27-28 C/80.6-82.4 F while playing PC games. And because I used to stay in that room temp, so my body didn't feel hot, then I thought the temp was also fine for my PC. But, recently I realized that my CPU temp was overheating, for example when I played Counter Strike Global Offensive (which is not a heavy game) and my CPU temp could reach 72 C/161.6 F. And also recently I read couple forum that said the room temp should be below 27 C/80.6 F.
So now I wanna ask you guys what is the ideal/best room temperature for gaming PC???
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
-Vinzy-,

The International "Standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which is a reference value that reviewers use to test CPUs and GPUs, as well as other computer hardware and various electronics peripherals. This is the "ideal" ambient temperature for operating a PC. We use this temperature as a point of reference, which minimizes environmental variables for more meaningful comparisons.

Here's the scale:

SdQWJWK.jpg

I personally prefer to limit summer seasonal ambient room temperature to 25°C (77°F) so as to preserve a "reasonably normal" environment for thermal headroom.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

CT :sol:
Aug 19, 2020
There is no "ideal/best room temperature for gaming PC".

Obviously, you don't want the room too hot. But if it is OK for you, it is OK for the PC.

The lower the ambient temp, the lower the PC temp. If a couple of degrees matter that much to you.
What do u mean by "if it is OK for you, it is OK for the PC."

Of course it doesn't always work like that, for example if u used to live in a hot temp city/country, say it is 35 C/95 F and ur body is fine with it. But is it still ok for your PC? Of course not, u are slowly damaging ur PC actually...

Then you can't always make a statement like that.

That's why I need specific answer.

But, recently I realized that my CPU temp was overheating, for example when I played Counter Strike Global Offensive (which is not a heavy game) and my CPU temp could reach 72 C/161.6 F.
I don't know what hardware you have in your system, but 72C is arguably a fine enough temperature for a CPU to be running at under load, and is not at all what I would consider to be "overheating". Modern CPUs are typically rated to run up to temperatures over 90C, and are designed to automatically lower their clock rates to prevent reaching temperatures that would burn them out. Load temperatures in the 70s are pretty normal, and shouldn't be cause for concern.

Aug 19, 2020
There ISN'T a specific answer or temperature.

Obviously, the cooler the better.

But seeing as people on hot countries DO have PC's, and those systems are not dying...your call.
How there's no specific answer. A lot of articles and forums had stated their opinion about ideal room temp, but some of those were posted couple years ago and knowing that technologies are growing really fast. Therefore for now I need to ask you guys again what's the ideal room temp for PC.

This is what I mean by "ideal", EXAMPLE CASE: You don't want to set your room temp around 20 C if your PC is just fine staying in a 24 C room temp, because setting up your room temp to 20 C (which is not necessary for your PC) will make your electricity bill go up. Therefore the 24 C is "ideal" room temp for your PC.

So what I mean by "ideal" is: All kind of things are just going fine (your body health, PC temp, electricity bill)

alexbirdie

Respectable
Quite easy: the cooler, the better.

Professional IT-centers do have expensive air-conditions, which keep room temp below 20 C.

That means, the cooler the room, the better PC is running. THERE DOES NOT EXIST AN IDEAL GAMING TEMP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
There is not really any "ideal" room temperature to run a PC in. It would vary depending on what sort of cooling setup the system has relative to the heat output of the components, what the climate is like where you are, what the electricity costs are, what temperatures you personally find comfortable, and so on.

With an overkill cooling setup, even room temperatures around 40C (104F) might be fine for the system. Likewise, components could potentially overheat and thermal-throttle even if the room temperature were around 10C (50F), if the cooling setup were completely inadequate.

What matters more is the temperatures that the components are actually running at, and as I said before, CPU temperatures in the 70s under load are perfectly normal. In any case, CPUs tend to be quite durable, and they are one of the least-likely components in a system to outright fail during normal use.

Reactions: Phaaze88
How there's no specific answer. A lot of articles and forums had stated their opinion about ideal room temp, but some of those were posted couple years ago and knowing that technologies are growing really fast. Therefore for now I need to ask you guys again what's the ideal room temp for PC.

This is what I mean by "ideal", EXAMPLE CASE: You don't want to set your room temp around 20 C if your PC is just fine staying in a 24 C room temp, because setting up your room temp to 20 C (which is not necessary for your PC) will make your electricity bill go up. Therefore the 24 C is "ideal" room temp for your PC.

So what I mean by "ideal" is: All kind of things are just going fine (your body health, PC temp, electricity bill)
DUDE as long as your pc isn't overheating and going past safe temperatures then it shouldn't matter. It really depends on how well your cooling is. My room used to reach 90f and my computer was fine since it was decently cooled.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
-Vinzy-,

The International "Standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which is a reference value that reviewers use to test CPUs and GPUs, as well as other computer hardware and various electronics peripherals. This is the "ideal" ambient temperature for operating a PC. We use this temperature as a point of reference, which minimizes environmental variables for more meaningful comparisons.

Here's the scale:

SdQWJWK.jpg

I personally prefer to limit summer seasonal ambient room temperature to 25°C (77°F) so as to preserve a "reasonably normal" environment for thermal headroom.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

CT :sol:

Solution