[SOLVED] What is the IP address of this site?

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
I am trying to find the IP address of parallels.com and my.parallels.com (I know they also use cloudflare).

When I look them up on https://dnschecker.org/
  • parallels.com gives me the IP of 195.214.234.136
  • my.parallels.com doesn't give me anything.

1. why does my.parallels.com not show up on dnschecker.org? What is the IP of my.parallels.com?
  2. why do I get different IP's when I ping www.parallels.com vs parallels.com
  3. Since parallels.com is the top level domain, how do I find all the subdomains for parallels.com?
Thank you

Solution
that depends on your dns table
dns is is list of web pages with theirs corresponding ip adresses, switching to another dns provider can alter ip adress, or server on that ip can redirect you to another domain
u can use tracert command to see all ip adresses between you and final server to see if u get some sort of redirection on theirs side or its from dns provider

as for your question
parallels.com = webhop.parallels.com (195.214.234.136)
my.parallels.com = my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.248.35)
www.parallels.com = www.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.249.35)
dns is is list of web pages with theirs corresponding ip adresses, switching to another dns provider can alter ip adress, or server on that ip can redirect you to another domain
u can use tracert command to see all ip adresses between you and final server to see if u get some sort of redirection on theirs side or its from dns provider

as for your question

Last edited:
Solution
why does my.parallels.com not show up on dnschecker.org? What is the IP of my.parallels.com?
Because that is an alias. Search for CNAME record instead (not A record).
You'll get my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
Then search for A record on my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
and get 104.17.249.35
why do I get different IP's when I ping www.parallels.com vs parallels.com
Because that's a different hostname.

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018

as for your question

When I paste that IP in my browser, it says direct IP address access is not allowed.

my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.248.35). Is this the direct IP address of the website itself or is that the IP address of the cloudflare server?

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
Because that is an alias. Search for CNAME record instead (not A record).
You'll get my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
Then search for A record on my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
and get 104.17.249.35
So your saying my.parallels.com is the alias, the real site it points to is my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net. Example, when if I enter my.parallels.com in my browser, its actually going to my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net instead?

Because that's a different hostname. [/QUOTE said:
Can you please elaborate a little bitmore?

Last edited:

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
why are you using ip address on the browser? because 1 ip could go to multiple sites

Just wanted to see where it would take me. Even if I use the URL name, still gives me a different error. I guess the cloudflare piece is confusing me. WHen we say cloudflare, we are NOT talking about the direct website correct? but the static files on the cloudflare site?

When I paste that IP in my browser, it says direct IP address access is not allowed.

my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.248.35). Is this the direct IP address of the website itself or is that the IP address of the cloudflare server?
its a direct ip to cloudflare computer, ofc u wont get any access if u type just ip
if it says no access, then it means u have no access to that computer

simple webpage can take u to many places...what are u trying to do anyway?

You concept of web sites and IP addresses is very out of date.

A DNS entry can point to a large number of different IP addresses. In addition mulitple sites share a IP address. If you key in the IP address direclty into a web browser the load balancer device does not know which of the servers that share the IP to give the data to.

You have to remember everything is virtual. Even the concept of a server itself is not really valid since you can have many servers running on 1 hardware device.

What tends to be done with large sites is a web server is actually a number of "servers" located in many location that communicate and act as a single server. The part that makes this harder would be say a there was some item you wished to purchase and there was only 1 and people on different servers tried to buy it at the same time. They have gotten pretty good at making this work but this is one of the reason you see very popular items say on amazon let you purchase them and at the very last second they say out of stock.

From the outside you have very little ability to figure out anything about where a web site is or how it is working. For very simple sites it still works but just as companies outsourced their servers from their own data centers to hosting centers you now see another migration to this concept of virtual hosting centers.

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018
its a direct ip to cloudflare computer, ofc u wont get any access if u type just ip
if it says no access, then it means u have no access to that computer

simple webpage can take u to many places...what are u trying to do anyway?

Just trying to understand the setup of those two websites (learning how to read IP addresses, DNS information of a website). I am still sorta of confused. Just to back track...my.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.248.35) is the IP address of the cloudflare server and NOT the direct website of my.parallels.com.

eeps24

Reputable
Jul 23, 2018

Thank you for that. So cloudflare is like a buffer between you and the direct website.

1. It mentions Proxied traffic and UnProxied traffic. I dont understand what the difference is.
  2. In the end, regardless cloudflare will still send you to the direct website correct? assuming your not hacker.

Cloudflare is much more than just DNS.

The DNS function itself purely gives you a IP address based on the string of data you asked about. The traffic does not pass through the DNS server or pass through cloudflare. Your machine is responsible for sending the traffic to IP address it received.

The thing that confuses people is that cloudflare can give you different IP addresses for the same string of data based on many factors.

Now it gets even more messy because cloudflare is actually one of the larger hosting providers. So the web server you want to go to may exist in a cloudflare data center. So after you get the DNS your pc will open a web session with one of the many load balancer devices cloudflare uses to direct traffic to the actual data servers.