Question What is the issue when the CPU, VGA & BOOT LED lights are all on ?

Dec 2, 2022
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX z690-A WIFI D4 and this is my first time building a PC.

My full parts list is below:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dyktBj

I have no spare parts or integrated graphics for troubleshooting purposes so I feel pretty in the dark here.

I have already used BIOS flashback to update to the latest version found on the ASUS site, which supports 13th gen CPUs. I feel like I have tried many of the common troubleshooting methods. I have reconnected all of my PSU cables, reconnected the GPU multiple times, taken the CPU out and put it back in, tried to boot with only one stick of RAM, ensured my display was connected to my GPU instead of the MOB. I am running out of ideas. Is there anything I can try next to get my system to boot up?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have already used BIOS flashback to update to the latest version found on the ASUS site, which supports 13th gen CPUs.
Can you walk us through how you flashed the BIOS using the feature mentioned?

Did you inspect the socket for your CPU for any bent or broken pins?

Dec 2, 2022

I have already used BIOS flashback to update to the latest version found on the ASUS site, which supports 13th gen CPUs.

I have, I see no pins bent

Dec 2, 2022

I have an 8GB flashdrive. I completely reformatted it to FAT32. I downloaded the BIOS files for my motherboard for the ASUS site and unzipped it on my desktop. I executed the renaming exe and copied the renamed file onto the parent directory of my USB. I plugged this into the BOOT USB slot of the MOB with the PC powered off. I held the BIOS Flashback button for 3 seconds and it started to flash green. After several minutes of both the green LED flashing and my flashdrive blinking, all went dark. I removed the USB and then tried to boot the system up.

Lutfij

Titan
Do the above(again) but don't remove the flash drive. Once the LED's stop flashing, while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall(and display), remove the CMOS battery and then replace after 30 mins. See if you can power up after replacing the battery.

Dec 2, 2022
Do the above(again) but don't remove the flash drive. Once the LED's stop flashing, while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall(and display), remove the CMOS battery and then replace after 30 mins. See if you can power up after replacing the battery.

I just tried all that with no luck. I have also since tried removing one of my two installed SSDs, and plugging the cooler into the AIO pump header instead of the CPU Fan header (the Arctic installation manual calls for the fan header to be used, as the pump and fans are integrated into one power cable).

Lutfij

Titan
At this point I'd ask you to see if you can replace the board with a Z790 chipset at the most, at the very least, see if you can drop the processor onto a friend or neighbors motherboard that has the latest BIOS version to support the processor you have(and ofc making sure they have the right socketed motherboard, for you to try out).

Dec 2, 2022
At this point I'd ask you to see if you can replace the board with a Z790 chipset at the most, at the very least, see if you can drop the processor onto a friend or neighbors motherboard that has the latest BIOS version to support the processor you have(and ofc making sure they have the right socketed motherboard, for you to try out).
I bought a z790 and the build went perfectly fine. I guess I had a bad motherboard!

Reactions: drivinfast247