Question What is the list of graphics cards compatible with my PC?

Nov 27, 2023
my power supply is a 500w non modular, and doesn't have any PEGs for a graphics card, so is there a list of graphics cards that do not need them? My specs are, LGA1155 mobo, 8gb hyperx genesis. 250gb samsung 850 evo sata SSD, intel i5 2320 (yes it's very old)
I just got the PSU a couple weeks ago and it's fairly old too
it's an ACE A500-BR 500W silent PSU
from around 2014 or smth

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i believe a 1650 is probably the strongest you can go without extra power needed.

honestly though a quality 500w psu should easily handle a 6-pin if not 8 pin pcie connection.

if this is the psu

https://cpc.farnell.com/ace/a-500br-v2/pc-psu-500w/dp/CS36381

then it only has 216w on the 12v rail. meaning for a modern system, it is only a 216w psu!! you REALLY REALLY need something better to run your system especially if you plan on a gpu. even a 75w gpu (no extra power connections) is more than you can spare with such a low powered psu. that's assuming it can even put out the 216w it claims to be able to. most likely it'll top out much less than that.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 27, 2023
it's very similar to that,but it's called the Ace A-500BR ATX switching PSU, I would send a picture but idk how to

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's ok. all of them i find are same specs but slightly different model number. either way, this is an old design for old systems not in use anymore. you need the full power on the 12v rail, 42 amps for a 500w unit. your unit has 18 amps and the rest is spread around the 3 and 5 volt rails. at the time this was made systems used a lot of 3 and 5 v power but that has gone away with 12v being the main source for the parts.

the cpu itself is about 100w, the rest of the system is roughly another 100w (the motherboard features, hdd's and so on). that leaves nothing for a gpu at all.

do yourself a favor and replace that old psu and get one designed for a modern system. we can help you identify what is quality based on what is available to you in your area. it's not going to be a $10 psu though for sure. if you have to save up some, then you should do so BEFORE trying to install a gpu. if you're lucky it'll trip the protection and it will shut down. if you are not lucky, then it'll overdraw itself and light itself on fire and possibly take a lot more than your pc with it!!

Nov 27, 2023
please can you explain what the 216 watt on the 12v rail means and how it indicates that my psu has 216w instead of 500 as I have no clue and im new to pcs and tech stuff

Nov 27, 2023
Just calculated it and my entire pc load is 196 watts, but I can take it down to 185 if I remove my secondary drive which I don't really need
196 is frighteningly close to 216 tho 💀

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just calculated it and my entire pc load is 196 watts, but I can take it down to 185 if I remove my secondary drive which I don't really need
196 is frighteningly close to 216 tho 💀

That really wouldn't make a difference.

The power supply is very low quality. Adding a GPU ought to be completely out of the question until this is replaced with at least a halfway decent budget power supply. Honestly, just having it turned on is frightening already.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
please can you explain what the 216 watt on the 12v rail means and how it indicates that my psu has 216w instead of 500 as I have no clue and im new to pcs and tech stuff

pretty much every piece in the pc uses 12v now. which means only what the psu can produce on the 12v side is important. your very old junk quality psu is only rated for 216w on the 12v rail. hence, for all practical purposes your psu is only a 216w psu.

and again that assumes it can actually put out the 216w. most likely it won't do it for very long before it dies.

so trying to add a graphics card to what is already very close to maxing out the psu is not a good idea at all in any way.

you need a new psu and there is no way around it for what you want to do. once you have the new psu, then you can see what type of gpu it can support. but as i said above, any decent 500w psu should easily handle a 150w gpu which leaves you with a ton of options for your gaming fun :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 27, 2023
How do I figure out how much watts are on the 12v rail, and how long do you think the power supply will work (not with the gpu) until it dies as i'm kinda tight on budget for a psu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The power supply label directly lists the amperage and wattage numbers, usually.

P=IxE
Power = Watts (P/W)
Current = Amps (I/A)
Voltage = Volts (V/E)

12V x 18A = 216W

Last edited:
Would anyone recommend a very good budget psu?
Decide on what GPU you're going to install into your pc.
Only then you can determine, what PSU is appropriate for powering entire system.

All of this is dictated by your budget.
How much are you willing to spend on PSU and GPU upgrade?

So...
1. Specify your budget (for GPU and PSU),
2. Decide on GPU model,
3. Pick appropriate PSU.