What is the max fps a 144hz monitor can sustain?

Thisname1234

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
My question is the title. I have a 144hz monitor and after reading a lot of different things on reddit and other websites, I see a lot of people are saying something different. People are saying it's 144fps (which is what I originally thought), other saying it's 145fps, but the majority of them are saying it's double your refresh rate plus 1 (some are saying it's double minus 1).

I'm testing rocket league right now capped at 144fps and then capped at 250fps. I have a fps counter and my gpu is able to handle this game at 250fps but I really don't see much of a difference. Checked my monitor's setting and it is set to 144hz.

Thanks for any input

Solution
slightly old, but I just saw this and it's slightly WRONG. The monitor may update at 144x per second, but more than 144FPS from the GPU will affect the output, and can be of benefit.

For example, the GPU might output 288FPS, so it's overwriting the framebuffer BEFORE the monitor finishes updating which means you end up mixing two or three frames from the GPU in the same frame. That causes SCREEN TEAR, but sometimes it's minimal and for "twitch" shooters the lower lag/latency helps some people. (not me).

I'll just link here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3404713/gaming-monitor-fps.html#19640867
The MHZ is the rate the screen refreshs per second.

the FPS is the number of frames the GPU can draw per second.

It may be able to create 250 frames per second, but the monitor can only display 144 frames per second, therefore the maximum FPS of any monitor is equal to it's refresh rate. The rest of the frames over 144 will be dropped as they can't be displayed.

slightly old, but I just saw this and it's slightly WRONG. The monitor may update at 144x per second, but more than 144FPS from the GPU will affect the output, and can be of benefit.

For example, the GPU might output 288FPS, so it's overwriting the framebuffer BEFORE the monitor finishes updating which means you end up mixing two or three frames from the GPU in the same frame. That causes SCREEN TEAR, but sometimes it's minimal and for "twitch" shooters the lower lag/latency helps some people. (not me).

I'll just link here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3404713/gaming-monitor-fps.html#19640867

Solution