Question What is the max life you can get out of any GPU

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
I know it depends on usage, condition, technology etc etc., but for the sake of discussion what is your longest running GPU from any generation? And in today's tech capacity, what do you think a GPU can run for, how many years?

I have my Asus Strix GTX 970 for seven years now and it has been through heavy gaming usage and it is still doing what it does in its capacity.

The hardware itself could last 20 years (based on the facts that I have some 20yo AGP cards still working).

But you can't just leave your GPU running forever without cleaning and repasting. Electronic components are usually damaged by heat before other reasons.

However, as technologies evolve continuously, you might be forced to retire your GPU one day because of incompatibility, just like what happened with my AGP graphic cards when the PCI-E took over.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
the oldest gpu in the house that still work are an HD5450 and a GT 530. They're now retired and resting inside boxes. Got them second hand from a korean store. I used them during the gpu crisis, because a weak gpu is better than nothing at all. Had them for only 2+ years, but if counting years from GT 530 release date in 2011, it is already 11 years old now.

gpu I have in active service are RTX 3050, GTX 1650, and GTX 1050ti - because there are three pc in the house. The three gpu were purchased brand new with box and warranty. I don't overclock, and there is good airflow in the cases, so I expect these guys to last for awhile.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I still have a working GeForce 256, though I don't get much use out of it since that PC has retired from use (the PC that commands my whole house stereo system is usually the last spot before retirement, in this case a Pentium 4 with an FX 5700 GPU).