Question What is the Max voltage and Amperage of the a Dell 7.4mm x5mm barrel connector male?

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
HDPLEX HIFI DC-ATX 500 watt has a 8 pin female barrel connector as the input plug. It is a custom large barrel connector i think.

I was going to connect the barrel connector male to a LOP-500-27. The LOP-500-27 has screw in output plugs not sure what there called but you just screw the wires down really simple no soldering.

Last edited:

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
If the barrel connector male can't handle the the voltage and amperage i will figure something else out. i was thinking of then using a 8 pin ATX connector.

Wondering what the max voltage and amperage is on a ATX 8 pin connector.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Wondering what the max voltage and amperage is on a ATX 8 pin connector.
If you're talking about the 8-pin PCIe connector for a GPU card, read this piece:-
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979-6.html

Obviously the voltage is +12V. The max power is 150W. 150/12=12.5A

So there you have it, 12V 12.5A for an 8-pin PCIe lead or 150W.

If your GPU card needs more power, add another lead for 300W.

More power still, add a third lead for 450W.

Plus the 75W available from the PCIe card slot.

Simple.

The maximum voltage is mostly dependent on how clean it is inside, as the plug itself normally have insulation capable of far higher voltage than normal for laptops.

The practical answer on this require you having proper tool to measure cable insulation dielectric strength - you'll need a Megger for this. If the plug isn't damaged or dirty, having a well known manufacturer, I'd expect it to hold 500V without any issues.
27V should be well within the limits.

The 18A is more questionable. For short burst, yes it would probably goes well - depending on the design of the female plug, i.e. how much contact so to speak.