[SOLVED] What is the maximum CPU power I can give on an Asus Z97-P motherboard without burning the VRMs?

Solution
I don't know anyone can answer that accurately...and if they did you probably have no way to determine the power your CPU is drawing accurately anyway.

The way to know you're overloading your VRM is by temperature if your motherboard reports VRM temperature in monitoring utilities. FET's are generaly good up to ~125C but don't go above 105C in extreme use. 24/7 use shouldn't go above 90-95C.
I don't know anyone can answer that accurately...and if they did you probably have no way to determine the power your CPU is drawing accurately anyway.

The way to know you're overloading your VRM is by temperature if your motherboard reports VRM temperature in monitoring utilities. FET's are generaly good up to ~125C but don't go above 105C in extreme use. 24/7 use shouldn't go above 90-95C.

Reactions: Eximo
Solution

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Doesn't have to be LN2!

I simply put a 2nd fan on my CPU air cooler output side and the VRM temp dropped 10C even though the power being drawn was unchanged.

That was pure serendipity as all I was expecting was a lower CPU temperature.
I'm thinking to add something like a small fan to cool VRMs, ziptie it from the ceiling of the case and voila.

Reactions: drea.drechsler