[SOLVED] What is the maximum RAM capacity per slot allowed by Acer laptop A515-55-54SZ?

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
You can find some screenshots of this computer on this link:
It was never upgraded so far. Its total RAM capacity is 8GB currently. I would like to upgrade it to the maximum capacity allowed by the motherboard.
Dmidecode outputs a maximum possible capacity of 32 GB while Acer specs say the maximum is 20GB. Therefore I would like to know which one is correct.

Questions:
  1. What is the maximum RAM capacity per slot allowed by this Acer laptop A515-55-54SZ?
  2. What is the maximum total RAM capacity recognized by the motherboard of this Acer laptop A515-55-54SZ?
Thanks

Solution
It only has 1 Dimm slot with a max of 16Gb. 4Gb of ram is soldered to the motherboard. So a 16Gb dimm plus the 4gb of soldered ram gives a max of 20Gb. The systems chipset is capable of supporting 32Gb but the way the board is designed limits it to 20Gb.

bignastyid

Titan
It only has 1 Dimm slot with a max of 16Gb. 4Gb of ram is soldered to the motherboard. So a 16Gb dimm plus the 4gb of soldered ram gives a max of 20Gb. The systems chipset is capable of supporting 32Gb but the way the board is designed limits it to 20Gb.

Reactions: goahead97
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to take the bottom panel off the laptop and inspect the innards, since my research shows that your motherboard should have one physical slot for the ram to go into(unless there's a soldered on version). Following the disassembly and if you have ram soldered onto the board, you can add pretty much any 16GB stick of ram to the laptop. If there's no ram soldered onto the board, you can drop in the aforementioned 16GB stick of ram. The ram you should be looking for is DDR4-3200MHz rated to run at 1.2v.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
According to this link my current RAM is DDR4-2666 Mhz SODIMM.

1. Will this laptop accept DDR4-3200 Mhz SODIMM?
  2. Which CAS latency does these current RAM modules support? By taking a look at the screenshots of CPUz, I do not know whether it is 17, 18, 19 or 20.
  3. Do you think the CAS latency is important? I guess I would like to buy at least the same CAS or lower than the CAS latency of my current RAM.
  4. Should I buy dual rank RAM?

You can find some screenshots of this computer on this link:
It was never upgraded so far. Its total RAM capacity is 8GB currently. I would like to upgrade it to the maximum capacity allowed by the motherboard.
Dmidecode outputs a maximum possible capacity of 32 GB while Acer specs say the maximum is 20GB. Therefore I would like to know which one is correct.

Questions:
  1. What is the maximum RAM capacity per slot allowed by this Acer laptop A515-55-54SZ?
  2. What is the maximum total RAM capacity recognized by the motherboard of this Acer laptop A515-55-54SZ?
Thanks
Go here and run the scanner.
See what it shows.

Crucial

bignastyid

Titan
According to this link my current RAM is DDR4-2666 Mhz SODIMM.

1. Will this laptop accept DDR4-3200 Mhz SODIMM?
  2. Which CAS latency does these current RAM modules support? By taking a look at the screenshots of CPUz, I do not know whether it is 17, 18, 19 or 20.
  3. Do you think the CAS latency is important? I guess I would like to buy at least the same CAS or lower than the CAS latency of my current RAM.
  4. Should I buy dual rank RAM?
  1. It might but bot going to run at full speed, will be limited by the non removable ram
  2. ram is running at CL17 @ DDR4 2400
  3. Just like the speed the CAS will be limited to what the non removable ram supports.
  4. Single vs dual shouldn't matter in this case.

I installed crucial in windows 10 but it did not get launched after clicking the icon's app.
The scanner seems to be on coffee break.
What crucial seems to offer is.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a515-55

You have a 2666 stick installed running at 2400 speed.
I think you only have 1 ram slot which means the 2666 stick has to come out and be replaced.
You could put a 3200 stick in the pc but it will clock down to 2400 speed.
Max size of the new ram stick is 16GB.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
I eventually bought the IN4V16GNELSI Integral RAM module displayed on these 3 pictures to replace the 8GB Kingston module displayed on one of those pitures.
Question:
The specifications of the module I bought include Cas Latency = 19 but my soldered RAM seems to have less latency. The soldered RAM seems CL 17 according to CPUz.
I did not find any 16 GB RAM module which is 2666 Mhz, DDR4, SODIMM with CL 17 to match all the specs of the 4 GB soldered RAM. When I placed the new Integral 16GB RAM module on the computer CPUz's Mem tab displays CL 17 and CL19 alternatively every second or so.
The equivalent's 16GB SODIMM DDR4 of Kingston seems to be CL19 as well according to https://www.kingston.com/es/search?q=KCP426SD8
Do you think the Integral 16 GB RAM module I bought is ok, even though its Cas Latency is 19 instead of 17?
Thanks.