[SOLVED] What is the maximum refresh rate and resolution for an external monitor by Nvidia Geforce 940M 2 GB dedicated VRAM laptop?

Solution
It depends if the port is controlled by the iGPU or the dGPU. The last three laptops I've used with hybrid graphics had the HDMI port connected to the iGPU. If it had a DP port, it was connected to the dGPU.

You can find out by plugging in a monitor to the port and opening Settings, then go to System -> Display -> Advanced display settings. It will tell you which GPU it's plugged into.
It depends if the port is controlled by the iGPU or the dGPU. The last three laptops I've used with hybrid graphics had the HDMI port connected to the iGPU. If it had a DP port, it was connected to the dGPU.

You can find out by plugging in a monitor to the port and opening Settings, then go to System -> Display -> Advanced display settings. It will tell you which GPU it's plugged into.

Solution

As per Tech power up:
Being a mxm module card, its power draw is rated at 33 W maximum. This device has no display connectivity, as it is not designed to have monitors connected to it. Rather it is intended for use in laptop/notebooks and will use the output of the host mobile device. GeForce 940M is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 3.0 x8 interface.

Per Intel Ark
  • Max Resolution (HDMI)‡2560X1600@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (DP)‡3840x2160@60Hz

You could likely use a 1080p 120Hz HDMI monitor using the PCIe graphics passthrough of the iGPU, DP would support 1080p 144Hz. But it would be underutilized and a complete waste of money. It's doubtful you would even get close to that in games.

TRENDING THREADS