what is the minimum PSU for 8800gts

vanhalen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Hi
My friend is looking for the cheapest PSU that can hold this GPU.

this one is very cheap:
HEC þ450TD-TF 450W 2x8cm fan 24piný
can he do the trick?

(the rest of the gear is ordinary: E6600, 1HD, 1DVD, 2G ram)

thanks

4745454b

Titan
What is MP going to say that I haven't already? 28A (30A so that you have some headroom) is what you want. Doesn't matter if its a 400W PSU or a 700W. What does matter is the quality of the unit. Thats why I posted the link that I did showing not all 500W are the same. Seasonic, PCP&C, and Antec's Trupower/Neo brands, are ones that I would buy without worrying about quality. Enermax, Hipro, etc are ones that I'm not 99% sure about. Avoid anything that costs less then $40, it isn't worth it.

BTW, why are you giving $.2, when everyone else is comfortable giving $.02?

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
908W?
please explain, and don't tell me you are putting all max Amps together....

600W Xion, SuperFlower and Kingwin above rev.2 have a combined output of at least 400W on the 2 12V rails which are around 33Amps

4745454b

Titan
Seeing as you can't read the picture where they list the limits of the 3.3+5V rail, what other method do you have other then to add them all up? I doubt both 12V rails can do 22A each, as that would come out to 528W. (44A*12V)

Again, its a matter of trust. People trust different companies. You trust Xion, I don't.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
well, I think you may be a bit limited in this field , not me...
If you are given the total wattage on the 12v rail, you can divide for 12 and have the amps. As I said, I know they have at least 400W in 2.0 revisions and above (400W/12V=33.33A); but you don't know that because in that particular psu it's not shown in the sticker. You cant do (22+22) *12 as you said. Each rail is capable of pushing 22Amps alone, but when combined or both in use, they only can output 33A.

Max possible single amps and max combined amps are different!

I advise you learn something about psus

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I trust the sticker more than I trust what your saying. Do you have proof that there is 400 watts all together no you don't your just saying that. Based on what the sticker sais he is right.

Also I trust all the same brands he said are good.

4745454b

Titan
Uhmm, did you read the second post?

Seeing as you can't read the picture where they list the limits of the 3.3+5V rail,

I should have also said 12V rail, sorry. Let me try to show you what I'm talking about, if I can. (I realise in your mind I know nothing about PSU and need MP to tell me everything, but try to clear your mind anyways...) Look at the PSU that I linked to. Click on the picture that will show the limits/amounts of the rails. Do you see the part at the middle where it says "Caution! Hazardous area"? Do you see the line right above that? Do you see above that line where it says "(12v1 & 12v2 = 360W Max)"? This means I can easily do the math and find out that the 12V rails COMBINED can output 30A. Ok, lets do this with your PSU. Oh wait, you can't because they don't break out the rails properly. As I posted in my first post, I know it can't do 22A combined, because then it would be a 900W+ PSU. So both rails together do something, but we don't know how much.

You could do research and figure out who made it, what model it is, and how much power it can really do on the 12V rails combined, or you can just skip it and get someone/something more upfront about their PSU.

Last, I advise you to ease up a bit and not try to insult people. It only makes you look dumber.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Ok, let's cut the insults. Both of us. I apologize for that.

I wrote that because in your post after the one in which I gave the link to that psu you seemed to know nothing about the matter...

Some of the stickers on Xion psus don't say what we have in 3.3+5, 12+12 or 3.3+5+12. But I'm pretty sure the 600w ones rev.2 have at least 400w max in the 12v rails.

They sell a lot here and I tested some of them, modulars included (these even use 105ºc rated capacitors 8O ) and they are well built despite the not so well known brand.

Peace

vanhalen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
guys,
lets stick with the question please.
no offence but I dont need you to tell me to buy enermax, antec, ocz, ect..
or PSU that cost 100$.
I know all there is to know about them already.

I need to know if PSU like the HEC 450W, as I noted before, can do the work

thanks.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Didn't you read through the replies?

If that psu doesn't put 26Amps on the 12V rail, I doubt you can power up a system like that without asking for trouble.

How do we know if it will work if there is no sh!t in the web about it?

4745454b

Titan
I need to know if PSU like the HEC 450W, as I noted before, can do the work

thanks.

If you'd like to get someones opinion of something, provide a link.

I don't like the looks of this. As we already talked about, you can't just add the two 12V rails together, but thats exactly what they did. (384 / 12 = 32) They also claim too high of an output if you add the 12V max and the 3.3 + 5V max together. (384W + 165W = 550W) My guess is you could buy this, and it will probably work, but you'll be stressing the hell out of the unit. Are there any other units available?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Not sure if he was being sarcastic or if that was a mispelling but i'm pretty sure he meant PC P & C, or PC Power and Cooling.

one_dollar

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
No.

you can't just add the two 12V rails together, but thats exactly what they did.
Sure is. Unless the unit is capable of running both rails at max capacity (dont think even the best multi-rail psus can), you WONT have enough power. It more likely can supply 25A max.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Yeah so i thought, but to the unknowing PCP&C already looks like a mispelling of some sort so your iteration was only understood by a small audience. :lol: