What is the minimum PSU for this build?

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hey to everybody, im new here and starting my first build on my own!

I will use this the computer for DAW, internet and watching Full HD 1080p movies on my LCD Tv.
It often power on for 48 hours.

Here's the setup for now:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
CPU: Core i7 I7-920 8MB (Intel Boxed)
RAM: OCZ Platinum 3x2GB CL7
GPU: Club 3D HD 4670
Tower: Fractal Design Define R2
HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 1TB
SSD: Intel SSD 80GB
PSU: ?

I will add a new soundcard next month when i get money again :)

My question is:
What is the minimum amps with 12V on the PSU?
Please advise me here, I cant figure out what to go for.
I could just buy a big one for alot of money, but want to save where i can :)

Because he has no intention of gaming or anything else GPU intensive. Anything better would be a waste of money. Though, personally, I would still grab a 5670 for $100 instead for the new tech. Or a 5450 when it comes out.

I would totally go for the OCZ modular. I like mine.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Damn some of those PSU's are pricey for me when im on a budget!

I see both Chill and Corsair on the listing, and those are at the same price here in Denmark...
I can get bigger Watts for the money from Corsair because i can choose not modular models, but the Chill is reviewed to be more silent.

Any of you that know how i can see if the chill is 80+ certified?

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hmm...

I cant figure out what to go for...
I want the most silent i can effort, but if the Corsair models i alot better overall that is even better maybe!?

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Ofc not!

But i know i will change the fans in the tower if they make more noise than they promise in the specs. So ofcourse i want the most silent PSU i can get for the money.
But im almost shure will end up with one from corsair because the have more power for the money...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I have a corsair PSU and i can't hear it :)
-Even if its loud, in all the builds i have done, the GPU tends to have the loudest most obnoxious fan in the system that muffles all other fans in the computer.
But the corsair silent.

Well, if it helps, I find my OCZ 600W modxstream to be very quiet. Can't even hear it. I keep my two case fans on low. And it is modular.

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Nice! I will go with the TX650...

hypersnap

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks for the info, just talked with a friend that said the same about the TX650 from Corsair, thats even got more power, and is actually cheaper. But not modular :(

I just want to add one last comment. The fan in the Corsair TX650 power supply is temperature controlled. The fan speed increases only if the temperature increases. At idle or while surfing the Internet you should not hear the fan.

I also agree with blackhawk. Video card fans are usually the loudest fans in a well built system. They are smaller fans that operate at much higher rpm.