Question What is the most recommended GPU upgrade for a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)?

Jun 5, 2019
This computer is mainly for editing photos and videos (non 4K) on a budget. No gaming required. Current configuration is 8 core 2.8 Ghz (2x 2.8 GHz QuadCore Xeon E5462), running MAC OSX El Capitan, with 32 GB DDR2 RAM 667Mhz with and an ASUS Geforce GTX 285 1GB as the GPU. I find so many affordably priced secondhand GPUs ( GTX 680 / 770 / 690 / 960 for example, in both in 2GB and 4GB VRAM) that it's hard to understand which one is the best for the money. By common sense the highest number, but that doesn't alway stand, I hear. Then there is also the compatibility issue (with for non Mac specific GPUs).

I ask this after spending days researching online, without reaching a clear conclusion. I hope the good people of this forum can help me.

Thank you.

Jun 5, 2019
I would say you need to find what GPU drivers are available for your Mac. Doing a quick search I found Nvidia driver for El Capitan that supports the GTX 680.
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/92173/en-us

Thank you for the reply. But I meant to ask about GPU upgrade for the Mac Pro 3,1 (2008), not "update". My bad. Thr GTX 680 srrms to be one of the possible choices yes. But again, at a very similar price of other more recent GPUs I'm just struggling to find out which would give yhe best performance for the money.