[SOLVED] What is the most reliable 6TB HDD

Jan 25, 2020
I want to build my next gaming rig. I intend to buy the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard so it has to be compatible with it, if it's a factor that is

I am searching for the most reliable 6TB HDD to store my games, music and movies since the latter two I tend not do delete.

So what would be the best choice here in terms of reliability and noise? and is there much difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM?

Solution
Backblaze only reports one 6TB model: Seagate with a 1.07% failure rate

HGST usually has lower drive failure rates.

That said, buy an external offline 6TB backup.

If you have a half decent router, chances are it supports simple NAS storage. Set up windows 10 backup to access it with the unique router password, and don't mount it as a drive letter. That way Ransomware can't encrypt it.

kanewolf

Titan
I want to build my next gaming rig. I intend to buy the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard so it has to be compatible with it, if it's a factor that is

I am searching for the most reliable 6TB HDD to store my games, music and movies since the latter two I tend not do delete.

So what would be the best choice here in terms of reliability and noise? and is there much difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM?
Look at the manufacturer's warranty. A drive with a 5 year warranty is believed, by the manufacturer, to be more reliable than a 3 year. A "NAS" drive is designed for 24/7 use.
But none of that matters if you delete something or get a virus. Only backups protect your data.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Backblaze only reports one 6TB model: Seagate with a 1.07% failure rate

HGST usually has lower drive failure rates.

That said, buy an external offline 6TB backup.

If you have a half decent router, chances are it supports simple NAS storage. Set up windows 10 backup to access it with the unique router password, and don't mount it as a drive letter. That way Ransomware can't encrypt it.

Solution
Im running 3 6TB WD red pro drives in my computer. First one was bought back in october 2014 and holds all my steam games. I bought 2 more last year, one holds all my other games battle.net, origin, and any old CD/DVD games i ripped to ISOs. third drive backs up my steam drive, cause lets face it im not downloading and installing 700+ games again. Comcast threw a poop fit the last time i download 4+TB of games in a month.