[SOLVED] What is the most reliable and fastest modem to replace the Xfinity modem.

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
I want to replace the Xfinity with voice modem and go with the best no voice option. Thanks. Looking at the Netgear CM2000 or the Motorola MB8611 or the Arris Surfboard S33.

Solution
Your old cables maybe better than many new cables you find. Copper metal is near record highs so everyone is cutting corners. There is lots of fake ethernet cable being sold.

You need nothing special cat5e cable can run full gigabit speed. Check the markings on your cable. There is a very slim chance it is cat5 (ie not "E"). It was not really being sold much even 10yrs ago so it is likely your cable is cat5e

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've had good luck with Netgear, used a DOCSIS 3.0 modem/router for about 7 years without problems.

Surfboard seems to have the most features. If you have multiple ethernet devices you want to situate near the modem, seems like the superior choice.

Not sure why they brag about download speeds in excess of the connection speed to the downstream devices...

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
Thanks. I run ethernet to the Xbox, my desk top, 2 televisions and the Marantz receiver. So, should I go with the Arris Surfboard? Also what ethernet cables should I upgrade to mine are 7 years old. Distance from modem / router to devices is maybe 30 feet + / _.

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
Thanks you all are the best !!!! Stuck betweent he Arris and the Net Gear both are compatible and I want to get the 2 gig Xfinitywhich I know is not really 2 gig I just want it LOL

Your old cables maybe better than many new cables you find. Copper metal is near record highs so everyone is cutting corners. There is lots of fake ethernet cable being sold.

You need nothing special cat5e cable can run full gigabit speed. Check the markings on your cable. There is a very slim chance it is cat5 (ie not "E"). It was not really being sold much even 10yrs ago so it is likely your cable is cat5e

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
Any cable modem you are purchasing today has to adhere to a cable standard called docsis. The current generation that most systems are running on is 3.1. Regardless of what is for sale at the store I would highly suggest getting a 3.1. There are 3.0 modems out there but while the .1 bump doesn't look like much the performance difference is pretty staggering. Docsis uses a technology called channel bonding. Without getting too in depth the bonding tech in 3.1 is lightyears ahead of 3.0. Version 4.0 is on the horizon, but will take years for the operators to implement so I would get a 3.1. I have had really good luck with Arris, but while anything should technically work I would make sure that your carrier supports whatever modem you are looking at because firmware is pushed from their side and unsupported modems don't always work well because of it.

As far as ethernet cables go 5e or above all will work fine in most use cases. Nothing coming out of a cable modem at this time is going to push beyond a 1gbps signal. If you are trying for 2.5 on a backlink to your router then get a Cat6 to support it. The carrier won't probably push that much data to you anyways, so even if the port supports it, it is probably a point moot.

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
Thanks. Everything I am considering is 3.1. Have narrowed it to 1 of 3 and all 3 are approved as compatiple with my Xfinity 1 gig (which I want to bump to 2 gig even though there is no such thing) . The 3 are the Netgear CM2000 or Motorola MB8611 or Arris S33.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks. Everything I am considering is 3.1. Have narrowed it to 1 of 3 and all 3 are approved as compatiple with my Xfinity 1 gig (which I want to bump to 2 gig even though there is no such thing) . The 3 are the Netgear CM2000 or Motorola MB8611 or Arris S33.
Modems are pretty basic devices. You won't control the firmware on that device, the ISP will. Unless you like the looks of one, or the mounting options of another, it won't really matter. Get the one you can get the best deal on.

:( That is the magic number they print on the box. It actually has a very special meaning based on things like how many mimo feeds you have and the data encoding.

Pretty much getting a bigger number does not help a lot because end device are half your connection and your average device has a number equivelent to 1200 or maybe 1450 so a 1900 is going to be better than almost every device already.

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
Wow ya all are the best on the planet. Did not understand a word of it. So, if Is ee a router to connect to the Xfinity approved modem look for a number of 1900 or higher ? I think I am going to do the Nighthawk Modem with the Nighthawk Roter and Mesh piece?

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
A better idea.....EXIMO TITAN AMBASSADOR and KANEWOLF TITAN MODERATOR and BILLOO1G TITAN all come ta Nashville - I will put ya all up at the nicest hote;l down on Broadway where all the fun is and ya all help me finish this head ache and I pay for everything excepty air fare.

kanewolf

Titan
Wow ya all are the best on the planet. Did not understand a word of it. So, if Is ee a router to connect to the Xfinity approved modem look for a number of 1900 or higher ? I think I am going to do the Nighthawk Modem with the Nighthawk Roter and Mesh piece?
The KEY takeaway from our recommendation is "Don't pay a premium today because there is a technology change underway which will REQUIRE a new router purchase." From the Netgear webpage, the RAX10 is the lowest cost option.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I had Xfinity a few years ago and I bought a Netgear CM1000 and it is great. I pay for 400Mb down/ 20Mb up and I get up to 480Mb down/ 25Mb up when I test with Speedtest. It was on the approved list for Xfinity when I bought it. It is only rated at 1GB. Looks like the CM2000 is rated at 2.5GB. Not sure if you really need 1GB speed or higher. I can download a 60GB game from Steam in around 15 minutes. I suppose if you got a good price on gig speed or higher it might be worth it for bragging rights. Most downloads are limited based on the server anyways. Just my 2 cents. I would go with the Netgear.

I don't recommend Netgear, I have seen too many problems with their firmware. I know people with the CM1000 which had trouble getting gigabit speed due to firmware problems with the ISP. Netgear/Comcast downgraded it to only being certified for 800mbps with Comcast, which is really dumb for a Docsis 3.1 modem. My friend that had it couldn't even get over 500mbps with it. He gave up and bought a Motorola like mine. He was mad because it was the same price as the Motorola and we live an hour away from a Microcenter where I bought mine. He chose to save an hour of driving time and bought the Netgear from Best Buy, instead of drive to Microcenter and buy the Motorola. But in the end, wasted a vacation day from work and tons of hours of frustration with his CM1000.

I'd stick with Motorola or Arris. Personally, I use the Motorola MB8600 (predecessor to the MB8611 but I only have a 1gb port) with my Xfinity gigabit and it's been rock solid for several years now. I had 1 outage in the time I've had it, but the whole neighborhood was out and there was construction going on down the street. The problem lasted several hours. I'm getting my full gigabit speed, though technically I have 1200mbps internet plan, but the physical port is only 1gbe. (puchased this modem before the MB8611 with the 2.5gbe port came out)

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
Best Xfinity compatible modem with voice. Have to fax medical documents concerning elderly father. Arris or Motorola then I would like to use a high powered Asus or Netgear gaming router to cover 2800 sq. ft. with 6 + ethernet ports. I am trying to hard wire 3 TVs , the newest XBOX, 2 of the newest Apple TV streaming devices and my desk top. Now not interested in the Netgear modem after reading gggplaya's discussion.

TRENDING THREADS