[SOLVED] What is the most reliable and fastest modem to replace the Xfinity modem.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

M6SCOTT

Reputable
Mar 21, 2017
I want to replace the Xfinity with voice modem and go with the best no voice option. Thanks. Looking at the Netgear CM2000 or the Motorola MB8611 or the Arris Surfboard S33.

Solution
Your old cables maybe better than many new cables you find. Copper metal is near record highs so everyone is cutting corners. There is lots of fake ethernet cable being sold.

You need nothing special cat5e cable can run full gigabit speed. Check the markings on your cable. There is a very slim chance it is cat5 (ie not "E"). It was not really being sold much even 10yrs ago so it is likely your cable is cat5e
I can't give any recommendations to the modems that have VOICE as well. But I will tell you to steer very clear of anything that uses the Intel Puma chipset. I would only buy broadcom chipset modems.

Supposedly Intel fixed their problems in Puma 7, but I think only time will well. Puma 6 was a nightmare.

Does you ISP even allow you to own a modem with the voice ports. The problem is when you have voice ports there is a second special network running to your modem that has priority over other traffic for voice to work well. They don't want "smart" people from changing stuff to give their normal data this special priority.
Most ISP require you to use their rented equipment when you need voice.

Since ISP rip off for a voice line anyway I would consider just doing it yourself with one of the many VOIP solutions. Its been many years since so all I remember was they used to sell things like magicjack to do this. Make sure you get one that can do FAX if you need that ability.