Question What is the most reliable brand of SSD ?

Aug 15, 2024
Hi there,

I'm in need of a new SSD to replace one that's on its last legs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any comprehensive data comparing failure rates across different manufacturers.

The only resource I've found that people seem to rely on is Backblaze, but their data is limited to a small number of server-grade SSD models from just a few brands. This makes it difficult to choose a reliable SSD from other manufacturers.

I'm wondering if there are any reports from computer repair shops or other sources that might offer a broader comparison of SSD reliability, especially for consumer-grade models.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

I'm in need of a new SSD to replace one that's on its last legs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any comprehensive data comparing failure rates across different manufacturers.

The only resource I've found that people seem to rely on is Backblaze, but their data is limited to a small number of server-grade SSD models from just a few brands. This makes it difficult to choose a reliable SSD from other manufacturers.

I'm wondering if there are any reports from computer repair shops or other sources that might offer a broader comparison of SSD reliability, especially for consumer-grade models.
Why pick a manufacturer other than what Backblaze uses? IMO, just assume that they (that make money from the reliability of their storage) have excluded other manufacturers for legitimate reasons.
But, if that is an unacceptable answer, then look at the warranty duration. That, at least, indicates the confidence the manufacturer has. Your data will still be gone, unless you have good backups, but you will get your failed hardware replaced.

Reactions: COLGeek

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have been using Samsung SSDs for many years and have had zero issues with them. I use in all the systems I build for myself, friends, and family members. Did I mention zero issues?

Crucial is my second tier brand of choice.

What are your storage amount needs? Honestly, there are lots of solid options from other brands as well.

Aug 15, 2024
Why pick a manufacturer other than what Backblaze uses? IMO, just assume that they (that make money from the reliability of their storage) have excluded other manufacturers for legitimate reasons.
But, if that is an unacceptable answer, then look at the warranty duration. That, at least, indicates the confidence the manufacturer has. Your data will still be gone, unless you have good backups, but you will get your failed hardware replaced.
Well because like I said, those are server SSD. My usage is different. The ones they picked probably have grades that are different from non server models of the same brands. And of course they would likely be more expensive, can't even find them on retailers.

Looking at the warranty doesn't seem feasible either as there are a good thousands models on the market, I would have to scrap data and code a script to get them all. Maybe you meant looking at the warranty of only the model I intend to buy. But warranty is something defined in R&D. Failure rate on the other hand comes after mass production.

Failure rates for ssd devices are very low.
One source for info is Puget systems. Do some research there.
Way back, 2016, their experience was that the Samsung 840/850 EVO/PRO drives had no errors:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
A current update:
A year has passed since the article, and fixes should be in place by now.

Since you are probably looking for a m.2 device, reliability may be connected to drive size.
My take is to buy a ssd from a maker who manufactures both the nand chips and the controller.
Samsung is one, there are a few more.
Making both components allow for better integration and quality control.

Do not chase magical performance numbers.
Such tests are done at high queue lengths and large block sizes.
Windows does mostly short reads at queue depths of 1 or two.
You will not be able to tell the difference without a synthetic benchmark.

I happen to like the Samsung units.
In particular, I like the Samsung ssd migration utility to move your C drive.
App and manual here:

Aug 15, 2024
Not an SSD owner here, but since I have been looking for one I searched around a bit.

This article https://www.slashgear.com/1358819/best-ssd-brands-memory/ put Samsung as 1st, then again their more recent models (Pro ones mostly) seem to run into some issues.

If instead of "reliability" you are looking for "customer support", because after all SSDs are kind of built to fail at some point, then it seems that Seagate and Crucial are your best bets.

Oh, and yeah, as others said already, have backups. On HDDs if SSDs make you nervous.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
How do you know they are solid options ?

I have an OCZ Agility 3 128GB, it lasted 11 years. But as it's the only SSD I ever had, i can't draw conclusions from it.
I don't KNOW they are solid. I assume they will fail every day. Therefore I follow a 3-2-1 automated backup system. Data is what needs reliability. Backups is what provides data reliability. A hardware failure can fixed and the data restored is a couple hours.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I don't KNOW they are solid. I assume they will fail every day. Therefore I follow a 3-2-1 automated backup system. Data is what needs reliability. Backups is what provides data reliability. A hardware failure can fixed and the data restored is a couple hours.
This is an incredibly important point. Backups are critically important if your data is important to you. No storage device is infallible.

Asked earlier about Samsung quality, it is based on years of use and experience, in addition to paying attention to technical information that is widely available.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you like OCZ, they were bought out by Toshiba. But OCZ didn't manufacture their own chips or controllers, so what was in the drives varied by model. That was also in the days of MLC drives which should have more endurance than today's TLC drives.

My old Vertex 4s still work, but they are functionally obsolete to me. Being only 256GB and SATA.

The only SSD I have had fail on me is a Samsung 960 Evo 1TB. Lasted almost exactly 5 years. I have, I want to say, at least three more Samsung that are both older and newer, all working.

Currently have a Sabrent main drive, and several Crucial P3 and P5 Plus models. No issues to report.

USAFRet

Titan
Even though I have multiple versions of what is purported to be the "most reliable brand", Samsung....they are all supplanted by known good backups.

Even among the BackBlaze stats, the fleetwide differences among the major brands is very very small.
And that has NOTHING to do with the singular device in your system.

Brand A and Brand B, 1,000 copies of each sold.

Brand A averages 1 fail per year, Brand B 1.5 fails per year.
Both really great, but it sucks if you are The One.

Backup backup backup.

USAFRet

Titan
My one and only SSD fail (out of more than a dozen) was a SanDisk.
3 years, 33 days old.

Data 100% recovered from the nightly backup.

33 days past the 3 year warranty. I knew it, SanDisk knew it...they gave me a knew one anyway.
6 years later, the replacement is still going strong.
I would not hesitate to buy another SanDisk, due to that customer service.

Aug 15, 2024
It's not for my "data" but for my OS. I already store my data on separate drives. And I do backup my user data. My mistake though was to not have a backup system fully ready. Since the incident I have looked at ways to save my passwords, bookmarks, notes, emails etc in the clouds - I had frowned upon that solution when it was introduced because of big brother etc.
I intend to travel thus I need more resilience.

Just now I found a Crucial BX500 240Go for 25€ on amazon, and ordered it.
Thanks all for the quality replies.

USAFRet

Titan
It's not for my "data" but for my OS. I already store my data on separate drives. And I do backup my user data. My mistake though was to not have a backup system fully ready. Since the incident I have looked at ways to save my passwords, bookmarks, notes, emails etc in the clouds - I had frowned upon that solution when it was introduced because of big brother etc.

My OS drive gets the same backup routine as all my other drives.
A Full Image, and then nightly Incrementals, every night.

A 100% recovery of my OS drive might take an hour.

kanewolf

Titan

Your OS is your most crucial "data". Without it, none of the other files are easily accessible.