Question What is the most reliable PSU brand and/or line

Bryphocy

Honorable
Mar 17, 2014
My current psu has a problem with its fan, it sounds like its a bit wobbly or something along those lines. So i'm wondering what my best bet at a new psu would be? Currently i have a corsair RMx 650m i believe, something along those lines anyway.

Sep 24, 2019
I've NEVER had a Thermaltake PSU fail. 1000 watt unit from 8 yrs ago still going strong with no problems. I also have a 850 watt and a 1200 watt also.

bignastyid

Titan
I've NEVER had a Thermaltake PSU fail. 1000 watt unit from 8 yrs ago still going strong with no problems. I also have a 850 watt and a 1200 watt also.

I've seen many fail, even seen a couple of TR2s completely fry the systems they were in. Most of Thermaltakes psus are poor quality, a few mediocre and an even smaller few are decent but they are usually very overpriced.

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
You should look at OEMs not brands like CWT, Seasonic, FSP. And preferably always look on reviews on credible sources like TomsHardware,jonnyGURU or TechPowerUp, or any other source that list their exact testing methods and equipment, its also important to memorize reviewers since some of them are experienced and well known in the community.
If they have the same oem implementation usually the less "gamer appeal" the brand is the less overpriced the product. For example NZXT E series PSU are rehashed Seasonic Focus Plus and they are definitely now worth the 30 bucks extra.

Last edited:
You should look at OEMs not brands like CWT, Seasonic, FSP. And preferably always look on reviews on credible sources like TomsHardware or TechPowerUp, or any other source that list their exact testing methods and equipment, its also important to memorize reviewers since some of them are experienced and well known in the community.
If they have the same oem implementation usually the less "gamer appeal" the brand is the less overpriced the product. For example NZXT E series PSU are rehashed Seasonic Focus Plus and they are definitely now worth the 30 bucks extra.

Unfortunately, reviews cannot reveal reliability. They don't even explore the over all design of a PSU. A PSU can use quality components and have excellent performance, but without a good design, QA practices, etc. even the best performing PSUs can fail. So also take warranty into account. If it has a 10 year or higher warranty, they have faith in their product and, I would hope, did the proper DMTBF analysis before deciding on that warranty period.