What is the normal operating temperature for a toshiba satellite pc

G

Hello,
i have a toshiba satellite model no. a-215-s5808 what is the normal operating temperature in farenheit? my cpu thermometer says core 1 is 159 degrees F, core 2 says 154 degrees F.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I wouldn't call that excessive in any laptop. You can buy cool-pads to stand them on but in any case, should always avoid soft surfaces (laps for example :D) and ensure that fresh air can circulate underneath the machine.

mekram

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I saw this and decided to sign up and reply because my answer is a bit different.

Most laptops operate normally at temperature ranges of 90 to 115. Over 115 your CPUs are probably heating up. At 159 degrees your CPU is really hot and might either fail or your computer may have the temperature control system installed (or on the hardware actually) which will cut the speed of your CPU in half so it can cool down.

Here are some things you can do to help your computer:

1. Get Speed Fan. The program is free and it allows you to control how fast your fans run, when they should run, and in some cases - what to do if your fans are not cooling your system properly (like shutdown). On my Dell laptop I have the fans always running at 50% and they ramp up from there to the maximum of 100%. My system usually runs around 80 F with a maximum of 110 F. Set Speed Fan as a startup program so every time your computer comes up Speed Fan comes up and runs and keeps your system cool.

2. Clean your laptop's fan and heat sink. You can either take your system to someone (like the Geek Squad) and probably pay around $300 to get it cleaned. Or you can do it yourself. There are tons of free online tutorials on how to take a laptop apart (for each specific brand, make, and model). DO NOT JUST TRY SUCKING THE DIRT AND DUST OUT OF YOUR LAPTOP. Not only will this not work but you could blow up the whole system. DO NOT JUST TRY BLOWING EVERYTHING OUT. This isn't a screen you took off of an air conditioner. This will definitely blow up your system. (I was really stupid one time and did this. Can you say "KA-POW!"? I knew you could! :) ) You will have to take all of the screws off of the bottom of your laptop, take the keyboard out, maybe take the screen off, open the laptop up, AND THEN take off any internal shields it has AND THEN suck the dust off of the fan and heat sink, put it all back together, cross your fingers, and turn it back on. If you are too afraid to do this - either find a friend who can do it or go to some place in your area that can do this. Like I said though, probably around $300. I only work on my own laptops so no - I will not do it for you.

3. Never use water, alcohol, or solvents on or near your laptop. These can damage your system easily. If you DO want to wipe the dust off of your components - it is best to use a dry clean cloth. If you just feel like you have to dampen the cloth then use one of the cleaners that are recommended by the Geek Squad or Frys or whoever. These are alcohol based but usually do not contain water (like rubbing alcohol has).

4. Be sure to run a program like CCleaner once a month, a good antivirus program once a month, a good anti-spyware program once a month and also - some kind of a defragmentation program. It is important to defrag your hard drive about once a month (up to once every three months). A good defragmentation program will move the most used files towards the front of the hard drive and the least used files towards the back of the hard drive. On non-solid state disk drives this will make the drive run faster which will make your system run faster and cooler (since the hard drive isn't being used quite so much).

5. Do not pile things up around your laptop. This blocks the air flow and can lead to overheating. This is true of piling things up on top of the laptop as well since your laptop usually has a grille near the screen that allows heat to dissipate.

6. Do not set your laptop on a soft surface. Soft surfaces conform to the shap pressed against them and, like #5 above, can cut off the flow of air to the laptop.

7. Make sure your fan is even running. You can do an easy test by placing the BACK of your hand near where the air is supposed to come out of the laptop. If you don't feel hot air hitting the back of your hand it is a good bet the fan is not turning or the heat sink is clogged with dust, hair, and who knows what else.

8. If your laptop is operating correctly you should be able to lay your hand over the center of the laptop. If that area is hot then your computer is overheating. It should be cool.

9. External fans on a laptop are OK but may not do anything and in fact may harm your laptop. By "harm" I mean if the external fan is pushing air in where the air is supposed to come out you may wind up doing the same thing as blowing into the computer. (In other words KA-POW!) Make sure the fans only blow air in to places the internal fan does not use. (This is really true on external fans that sit next to a computer. Less so for the ones that go under the laptop.)

Conclusion: So like the Senior Moderator pointed out - 159F will not necessarily kill your system but it could cause it to slow down. Speed Fan will allow you to modify what the fans are doing on your system so it runs cooler than 159F.

While I know this was originally posted in 2011 - it is still very valid today. The motto here should be "The cooler you can run your system the better it will run." Heat is the worst thing for any computer. Laptop, Desktop, tablet, or whatever. By keeping your hard drive defragmented, ensuring nothing is blocking the air flow of your computer, and using a program like Speed Fan you can keep your system running cool for years.

Have fun!