What is the Oculus Rift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, until I read this article, it didn't really sink in for me that you could just BUY an Oculus Rift. And now, the only thing holding me back is the fact that a newer version could be released tomorrow.

From all the material I'm reading, I'm not sure where the author is getting "a new developer version...will be released a month or two before the consumer version". If I had some assurance that the new version was, say, at least two months out, I'd order the current one today, but it seems like it could be released at any time...

neilquan

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Unless youre a developer why would you bother until a consumer version is readily available and compatible for more games? Of course the limits of the tech could just die like 3D for tv's. Then youd be stuck with a 300 dollar paper weight. That isnt to say that the tech wont refine and become better at a later date, but it could very well be some other company that picks up the baton after these guys fold. It isnt always that the person who comes up with the idea or prototype is the same company that brings it to the masses.

Gasek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I know these are 2 different (Sony Personal 3D Viewer and Oculus Rift) animals but I would like to see a comparison between these 2 by someone who has used both.

I have the Sony Personal Viewer and despite all of its shortcomings (not comfortable, no head tracking, first version has so so audio) think it is absolutely fantastic, specially if you travel a lot or live in a small apartment by yourself. It seems to me that the Oculus Rift will not be like a regular monitor either, where you can just plug in a Blu-ray DVD and watch movies?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
@hog

If it has too high a res you will isolate most of the gaming market. Only a Very small % of gamers have budgets allowing use of 1 or more high end GFx cards that would be required to run multiple 1080 screens at respectable refresh rates.

Maybe in the future once more high res Small screens become available that also satisfy other gamer related requirements Oculus will offer a range of models.

As it is sourcing screens that were suitable and of the given current consumer res was not such an easy task.

hog

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
@Pailin
I understand what you mean but, those old machine gamers could just lower the resolution and I don't think that someone who pay 300-400usd for a VR Google's is budget on his machine. What I mean is that would be a good choice to make this stuff future proof giving it FullHD res witch is becoming norm as day pass by. Another great option is launch 2 versions an HD and a Full HD one. I will go for 1080p all the times

Alcatraz Z

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
@hog you really don't need high res that much. Actually "quality" can be lowered compared to what we have now. Once it convinces your brain it's a reality (which it does) you quite stop noticing "quality" of image and you start noticing objects as a whole.

In real world your brain doesn't evaluate every detail again and again and again. Once you recognize someone you actually get very little info from your eyes. And until something unexpected happens you keep noticing him as one object doing "normal" things.

Low res textures and even low res polygons are quite a less concern with VR. High and stable FPS, perfect motion response and no overall screen defects are much more important. Consumers version of displays will be ok. And with that FOV it has you actually get much larger screen then is display resolution.

D

Deleted member 1353997

One of the weirdest experience you'll have with the Occulus Rift: When you move your hands to - for instance - adjust the Rift, it'll feel really weird not to see your own hands in front of your eyes.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is something that has taken and is taking too long to release. What is the point of announcing this vaporware a couple years ago when it was no where from being complete. For all I know it is that idiot Carmack that is destroying this device just like he did with ID software...

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
There is no way this thing will sell for $300. To put that in perspective, that's half the price of a new smartphone. The hardware is too complex and the sales volume will be too low.

skasucks478

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@hogIf it has too high a res you will isolate most of the gaming market. Only a Very small % of gamers have budgets allowing use of 1 or more high end GFx cards that would be required to run multiple 1080 screens at respectable refresh rates.Maybe in the future once more high res Small screens become available that also satisfy other gamer related requirements Oculus will offer a range of models.As it is sourcing screens that were suitable and of the given current consumer res was not such an easy task.
If I remember correctly, the signal is split. So you're not running two sources to headset (ie: dual monitor); you are running the same images offset for each eye.

For some reason, until I read this article, it didn't really sink in for me that you could just BUY an Oculus Rift. And now, the only thing holding me back is the fact that a newer version could be released tomorrow.From all the material I'm reading, I'm not sure where the author is getting "a new developer version...will be released a month or two before the consumer version". If I had some assurance that the new version was, say, at least two months out, I'd order the current one today, but it seems like it could be released at any time...
I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the original Rift dev kit, but I sure did preorder the new one as soon as I heard about it. July feels awfully far away... :/

Jason Mackay

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
This is something that has taken and is taking too long to release. What is the point of announcing this vaporware a couple years ago when it was no where from being complete. For all I know it is that idiot Carmack that is destroying this device just like he did with ID software...
How is this Vaporware? DK1 has been available to buy for a YEAR for only $300 and DK2 is now available to pre-order for $350 (I ordered mine the morning it was announced) and you can always pick up a bargain on ebay or the likes.As for the length of time to launch the Retail version, they could have launched DK1 or DK2 as retail versions and people would have bought them then quickly realised there were not many quality games available and gotten pissed off, it takes on average 3-4 years to develop a AAA game so if Oculus take 3-4 years to launch the retail Rift then at least there will be some AAA titles available at launch.Why did they announce it so early? To get the industry to take note of how much buzz and media/consumer attention the concept of a VR headset is getting, with Sony just showing Project Morpheus out of nowhere I'd say they have achieved that goal, the world knows and is excited, big industry players are forming a line and signing up to support this new (Again) format and throwing development behind it.If you are so desperate for the Rift then bug one, if you don't care for it then why are you commenting here?

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
What a ridiculus title to this article. The only question people really have now is "When is the Oculus Rift coming out" now what it is.

Jason Mackay

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I would like to think the Retail Rift would launch for Christmas 2014 but something tells me it may be Summer 2015.This is why I have pre-ordered DK2, I was going to wait for the Retail launch but when I saw the massive improvements over DK1 I realised I couldn't resist any longer, It took me all of 10 seconds to convince myself that it was well worth getting DK2 because when the Rift is launched to Retail, perhaps next July perhaps this Christmas, it will sell out immediately and retailers will have the opportunity to hike up prices on what little stock they can get their hands on. There will possibly be a Retail V2 a year after Retail V1 launches and if I have DK2 then I can easily wait for that, meaning I get an extra 4-20 months with a Rift and will have a library of games AND I will know if I need a new Video card and will have time to save for a good one. I can also figure out what control method to get.I am currently eyeing up the Sixense Stem system as well as an Virtuix Omni, although I'm not very fit so that may not be the best idea, although it may make me fit in the long run :)

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
How many more times are they gonna make these articles. Seriously, they make 1 every 2 months and it's getting annoying.
They're not writing new articles, they're updating the existing one. That's why there are comments dating back to December. No sense having multiple articles with their own comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.