[SOLVED] what is the process to installing a GTX 1050 ti into a inspirion 3650?

Oct 28, 2021
do i just plug it into the pcie and thats it?

do i have to uninstall the old gpu

do i have to install a driver after or do some kind of set up? i only know you do for Nvidia

there seems to be a couple kinds of this gpu to buy, but everyone who mentions it on forums just calls it gtx 1050 ti. Does the brand difference matter? As for the gb differences, i have 8 gb currently. would i get a 8gb one or something?

Solution
I would be hesitant to suggest to install one on a Dell inspirion 3650
Taking a look at its manual: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...spiron-3650-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf
It doesn't even specify how much wattage does this PSU have, or what PSU model does it use.

Not to mention you also need to measure the horizontal clearance for the GPU on the PCI-E slot if it is even feasible to physically install a GTX 1050 TI in this pre built
The GTX 1050 Ti has a card length of 145mm

Pre builts aren't recommended to be...
I would be hesitant to suggest to install one on a Dell inspirion 3650
Taking a look at its manual: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...spiron-3650-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf
It doesn't even specify how much wattage does this PSU have, or what PSU model does it use.

Not to mention you also need to measure the horizontal clearance for the GPU on the PCI-E slot if it is even feasible to physically install a GTX 1050 TI in this pre built
The GTX 1050 Ti has a card length of 145mm

Pre builts aren't recommended to be customized, just my 2 cents. I have seen some that tried to but end in disaster.

Reactions: luchequer
Solution
May 21, 2021
You have to take your old AMD Radeon graphics card out first (make sure to disconnect the graphics card power plug first) then just install the gtx 1050 Ti in the old card place, including the power plug. Then start up and install new nvidia driver

do i just plug it into the pcie and thats it?
you would first remove any previous card.
do i have to uninstall the old gpu...
do i have to install a driver after or do some kind of set up? i only know you do for Nvidia
depending on what the previous card is you may need to run DDU to remove the previous drivers & settings before switching out the card.
As for the gb differences, i have 8 gb currently. would i get a 8gb one or something?
does not matter.
the VRAM is seated on the actual GPU so it will not affect the rest of the system in any way.
less VRAM or slower VRAM could affect your performance in games and graphics processing software but you do not need to match them for a replacement card.
there seems to be a couple kinds of this gpu to buy, but everyone who mentions it on forums just calls it gtx 1050 ti. Does the brand difference matter?
some will have better built-in coolers, maybe different LED options, some will be a different size, some will have different default core & memory speeds, some the price will be quite a bit different than others.

as has been previously mentioned;
you will need to verify that your system can support any card you get.
that you have the proper PCIe power cables needed, that your power supply can provide enough power, and that the card can actually physically fit in the system.