[SOLVED] What is the proper way of dusting off a PC?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone, as I near the time to do a little dusting, I want to make sure my procedure is correct.

side note: The top of my PC does have no vent (well it does, but it's covered)

Alright so is it okay if I use a microfiber cloth dabbed with a tiny bit of water to clean the top of the case and sides?

What should I not dust with a microfiber cloth? Can I use a microfiber on my monitor? I do have cans of compressed air guys but I don't think it needs to be used for clearing things like dust on the top, I'd say it's more for internally but what do you guys do?

Thanks.

Solution
Unless your system is particularly dirty, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need something, don't go with anything particularly firm. You just want something that'll agitate the dirt, nothing that could break components off the board. A small paint brush, soft tooth brush, something like that - and not a lot of force.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
On the case etc, a damp microfiber cloth is fine.

A microfiber cloth is fine on your monitor - ever so slightly damp, and DO NOT apply much pressure.

internally, compressed air should be more than sufficient. A small brush can be useful if you have excessive dust/dirt to agitate the stubborn dirt.
When it comes to spraying air, hold your fan blades in place when blasting at them.

Reactions: dunkirkman

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unless your system is particularly dirty, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need something, don't go with anything particularly firm. You just want something that'll agitate the dirt, nothing that could break components off the board. A small paint brush, soft tooth brush, something like that - and not a lot of force.

Solution
In all seriousness, if you are just dusting the outside Swiffer type wipes are the way to go, case and monitor included.

I do use microfiber very lightly damped if the dirt does not come off with the dry wipe, also on both the case and monitor.

Every 6 months or so, to clean the inside I drag it into the garage and hit it with the compressor, while using toothpicks to hold the fans in place as I am blasting it. Yes, I have a moisture trap (which never collects anything since I keep the compressor maintained properly).

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really depends on how dirty your hardware is.

A few blasts with compressed air should be fine for most keyboards that are not excessively dirty - along with a general wipedown.

If it's really dirty though, removing the keys & blasting throughout with air, coupled with a wipedown wouldn't be a bad idea.