[SOLVED] What is the purpose of this black film on motherboard?

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Hi All,
A picture would have been worth a thousand words, but the part is lost at the service center.
My Asus notebook had a thin black film on top of the motherboard. It was just placed over it and was not glued to it. Service center misplaced it and they are now taking a stand that it was never there. I am left to pick it up without the film on the motherboard. It is between the inner side of the keyboard and the back side of the motherboard.

I have now a few questions.
  1. What is the purpose of such a film and why black color? Is it an insulator or some sort? Has it something to do with heat absorption?
  2. Now that the part is lost, is it going to affect anything with regards to the operations or does it carry any additional risk of any sort operating it without the film?
I am resorting to the expertise of this forum members since the official service center unfortunately did not entertain me!

Thanks and regards,

Solution
I believe the "film" is installed to prevent possiable short circuts if the board is say bent.. and solder touched the metal etc.. I might be wrong though.. and Ive not seen "black" er say but often clear plastic over parts that could cause a short

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I believe the "film" is installed to prevent possiable short circuts if the board is say bent.. and solder touched the metal etc.. I might be wrong though.. and Ive not seen "black" er say but often clear plastic over parts that could cause a short

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
not sure how "important " that part is, clearly they (the manufacture) felt it was necessary. I dont know if id wanna take a risk of a short circuit myself. maybe you could fabricate something suitable out of some thin plastic as well.. but I'm not sure if that would work either.,. and if like you said the whole thing is plastic.. well chances of a short are nill to none. but id still question why it was there if it was unneeded, most manufactures would take 1 screw out if they could to save that 0.0001 cents.. so adding a unneeded part dont seem likely

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Not that I know anything, but how thin was this plastic? My mind imagines a very thin layer meant to prevent minor scratches. Something that you would peel off when you got it before you installed it into the computer. If it was on the motherboard then surely it would do nothing but cause heat problems if left on.

Oh so this is about the internal parts of a laptop. My bad. In that case tell me about the origin of the product it was on. Was this on a piece that came with the laptop, was installed by you, or was installed by the service center?
If you can't find a reference to the plastic in the manuals for your laptop then you could try reaching out to Asus as a last-ditch effort.

Last edited:

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
The piece must have been in place since factory out state. It was not added by me ever. I don't think anyone publishes any servicing manual about laptops as this knowledge appears specific and propitiatory I guess. I had opened the laptop a couple of times before handing it over to the service center so I know about it.

I am not too sure replacing it with any other plastic as laptop parts are very specific and designed with some specific intent I guess. A plain plastic might melt due to heat of the CPU and make situation worst.

I found a youtube video where that black sheet is seen. I am posting a still (it's bit low in resolution but should give an idea) here for reference. Interesting part is it's only on the motherboard & not on the other small PCB on the right side.

laptop.png

Thanks.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
maybe its a thermal pad? I mean I guess it could be, not too familure really with laptops but I suppose that is possiable where they are so thin and not much airflow etc.. it might help dissipate heat from sensitive parts on the board