What is the Relationship Between Voltage and Clock Speed?

GoRivia

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
I have two EVGA GTX 970s on SLI and I'm using EVGA's PrecisionX 16 to overclock the 970s.

The settings are the following:

Power Target: 110%
GPU Temp target: 91 C
GPU Clock Offset: +101 MHz
Mem Clock Offset: +449 MHz
Voltage: +0mV

My question is, what relation does the voltage have to the rest of the parameters I listed above?

Do I benefit by increasing voltage in relation to the value of the other parameters?

Do I benefit by decreasing the value of the other parameters and increasing the value of voltage?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Increasing voltage allows you to increase clock, up to a certain value of the GPUs capability. Increasing voltage increases temperature, but in any case you want temps to be as low as possible. Too high can cause over heating and degradation of hardware as result, so keeping hardware cool is always a concern especially during overclocking.

GoRivia

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

So what would be the result if I were to increase voltage with the parameters I have now?

Without increasing frequency? Then you would be over volting and forcing the hardware to regulate excess. It is one way to damage your hardware, one very common mistake. High voltage is not what causes hardware to become defective, it is too much unused voltage that causes critical harm.

Shalaska

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
If your GPU is stable with the current settings that you have and you do not wish to push it further then do not increase the voltage. That said if you are looking for a higher overclock then you are currently getting but you have your GPU causing artifacts or hard locks when you increase your GPU clock offset then you can try increasing the voltage to make the card stable again. Note that increasing the voltage will increase the heat that the card generates as well as adding additional wear and tear to the card.

TRENDING THREADS