Question What is the role of TCP/IP in networks for different topologies?

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I'm learning about TCP/IP and it's role in the different network topologies but I can't really find any info online and it's for my IT coursework. The topologies are Mesh, Bus, Star, and Ring which are covered in the spec.

Too general a question likely why you can't find anything. Also a lot of this technology is old and obsolete. Token ring has not existed for at least 15 if not 20 yrs.

TCP/IP is more of a software technology and is not really that dependent on how machines are physically connected. Most those topologies are physical connection related and that is more a level 1 level 2 type of discussion. Then again the internet allows all machines to talk to each other with tcpip so doesn't that make all networks "mesh". It depends how you are defining the words in many ways.

Think of topologies as the roads connecting cities and suburbs. Think of WiFi/Cat5/Fiber/DSL as the way the roads are build. Think about Ethernet as the bus / rail car / plane carrying stuff. And think about TCP as boxes / pallets loaded into these buses / rail cars / airplanes.

YoungDNL

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Too general a question likely why you can't find anything. Also a lot of this technology is old and obsolete. Token ring has not existed for at least 15 if not 20 yrs.

TCP/IP is more of a software technology and is not really that dependent on how machines are physically connected. Most those topologies are physical connection related and that is more a level 1 level 2 type of discussion. Then again the internet allows all machines to talk to each other with tcpip so doesn't that make all networks "mesh". It depends how you are defining the words in many ways.
I thought so as well, that technology has been gone for a while now, we're asked to relate those to topologies as well as protocols (Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP, FTP and SMTP). Those are really hard to research without using a definition as a structure.