What is the safe temperature value for i5 4460?

hanncher

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
When playing PUBG and Rainbow, my CPU temperature is between 70-75 degrees. I play games continuously for 3-4 hours. So my processor temperature is 70-75 degrees for 3-4 hours.

(I'm using a stock fan)

Do these values ​​harm my processor?

Solution
hanncher,

I see that you're a new Member, so on behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Here's Intel's definition:

"TCASE
Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)."

That would seem to be a pretty straight forward specification, except that unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as Intel would like everyone to think.

Tcase is a factory only temperature measured on the external surface of the processors "Case" or Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) where the cooler is seated. Tcase is only tested on "Engineering Samples" in Intel's labs. There is no actual Tcase...
that's the temp where the cooler's heatsink is in contact with the CPU
the temps the utility is monitoring is probably the processor die temps (Tjunction temps), which is down inside the CPU, unless you're monitoring your temps with a thermometer yourself.

Generally intel CPUs have a "do not exceed" temp of 100C, and even then, Intel has a built in thermal limit that will throttle the CPU back, reducing speed and load to bring temps down to a safe level.

AS SR-71 stated, you're fine. You wouldn't hurt yourself to pick up a decent aftermarket cooler - you could easily bring those temps down to the 60-65C range.

Just be sure to at least keep an eye on dust build up inside the computer, especially on the fan blads and the cooler fins - check them every so often, you'd be surprised how fast dust will clog up the fins, and build up on the blades. Be sure to turn the computer off, and then unplug the computer before sticking your fingers inside or cleanng

if you go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-40-GHz- you can download intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool - download and run it, it won't take 5 minutes, but in the left hand column it'll list your CPU's max temp, then when it's run about 12 of the tests, it'll starting testing heat and in the bottom box it'll show you how far from the max Tjunction temp the CPU is running

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hanncher,

I see that you're a new Member, so on behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Here's Intel's definition:

"TCASE
Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)."

That would seem to be a pretty straight forward specification, except that unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as Intel would like everyone to think.

Tcase is a factory only temperature measured on the external surface of the processors "Case" or Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) where the cooler is seated. Tcase is only tested on "Engineering Samples" in Intel's labs. There is no actual Tcase thermal sensor on retail processors, so the end user such as you and I have no way to measure Tcase.

Like everyone else, when users look up their processor's Thermal Specification on Intel's Product Specifications website, they don't realize what Tcase actually means. Since there are numerous utilities for measuring Core temperature, everyone assumes that Tcase must be Core temperature.

Tcase is not Core temperature.

Core temperature is instead measured by individual Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) located at the heat sources near the transistor "Junctions" inside each of the Cores. Since Tcase is a factory only external temperature measurement which is not in close proximity to the heat sources, Core temperatures are significantly higher than the temperature on the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), which is Tcase.

Desktop processors have two Thermal Specifications; Tcase, which is used for designing CPU coolers, and "Tjunction" which is also called Tj Max (Temperature Junction Maximum) or "Throttle" temperature. Throttle temperature (Tj Max) is where the processor will reduce Core speed and voltage to safeguard against thermal damage, so Tj Max is the limiting Thermal Specification; not Tcase.

The Tcase specification is misleading because users assume that's as hot as their Core temperatures are allowed to get, when once again, Tcase is not Core temperature. Since Tj Max is shown in the Datasheets but not on the website for 6th Generation and earlier processors, Intel does not tell you that the limiting Thermal Specification is not Tcase; it's Tj Max, which for your i5 4460 is 100°C.

See page 76, Table 27, 2nd row, 4th column; TCC Activation Temperature: Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet, Vol. 1 - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html

For your 4th Generation Haswell processor, Core temperature is typically a minimum of about 10°C higher than Tcase, which would correspond to about 82°C. Since you're running at 70 to 75°C, you still have some headroom. However, if it's winter where you live, then come summer, your thermal headroom will decrease as Ambient (room) temperatures increase.

Here's the operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C aren't recommended.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C.

Highest Core temperatures occur during stress tests, rendering or transcoding, but are lower during less processor intensive workloads such as applications and gaming. Core temperatures can vary greatly among games due to differences between CPU and GPU workloads.

If you'd like to learn more, then read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution

hanncher

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

First of all thank you very much, I feel better myself :)

I measure the CPU temperature with AIDA64. As soon as I got out of the game, I saw the values ​​around here. That made me suspicious. But I'm glad when I read your answer.

Are the good stock fans enough for the games? Or should I change it with a different fan?

I'm in winter now, my room temperature is about 22 degrees.

hanncher

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

Thank you very much for your reply. Do I have to do that test? If the temperatures I'm talking about are safe temperatures, will I not do the test?

Because I use my computer only to play games. I do not use programs that load CPU.

sckum35

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

sckum35

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hi hanncher Im too using a i5 4660 for Video Rendering/transcording stuff, where CPU usage is 90% - 99% for hours , But my max CPU temperature is 64 celcious- my normal room temperature is 27--29degrees ( I use software - core temp to moniter). Some time back I had high temp problem in my cpu too(70+degrees), What i did was I removed the CPU Fan & Heatsink and reinserted back , problem solved.