Question What is the smallest and lightest PC that has Intel CPU and can run Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Depends on what you call a "PC" and what you want the linux to do. There are versions of linux that run on a wrist watch sized device (yes, it is an intel cpu.) Doesn't do much and it's real slow. Do you need a display, keyboard, mouse? WiFi? etc.?

I have computers the size of a stick of gum controlling my irrigation and a behemoth for watching TV.

Form follows function.

USAFRet

Titan
The actual, but unstated, requirement:

-----------------
I want to put a small PC to a drone. Intel NUC can be used but I wonder if there is anything smaller and lighter, yet has a Intel CPU, can run Ubuntu Linux and can be powered by small battery. About 15-30 minutes run time is good enough.
-----------------

So, this "PC" doesn't need to only run on battery for 30 minutes.
It needs to do all that other quadrotor stuff. Like...run 4 motors and fly.

What does an Intel CPU and Linux bring to the table that does not already exist in a typical quadrotor brain?

Wardriving :p
or well doing anything that a PC could do
Did anybody ever put linux on a intel phone?
I put windows 10 and linux on my Intel Zenfone 2. It was cool and worked pretty good, no bugs but screen was small, you could still zoom.

Sadly Intel quit the phone industry. I wanted an Intel CPU with an Intel GPU. I guess that's not happening but tons of low price dualboot Android+Win 10 tablets on AliExpress.

@modeonoff You could always get one of those tablets, they start at 7" and put linux on it. I got one for 100$CA new with an Intel Atom® x5-Z8300 Processor.

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07
May 25, 2020
Since this is apparently for a quadrotor, weight and power requirements are major considerations.

totally fair. OP hasn't presented a case for requiring an x86 board yet, other than can it be done?.. so ill say a firm, hard nope on the possibility of an x86 platform lifted in a consumer drone w/ battery life required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.