[SOLVED] What is the standard for disassembling an iPad Air?

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I have an iPad Air, about four years old. The battery can't hold a charge for long anymore. Apple wants +$200 to put a new battery in, of which I refuse b/c I could do it myself if I knew how to open the tablet the right way.

So my question is, does anyone here have a standard (best, safest) way for opening an iPad? I've watched a couple vids on Youtube but I don't trust them. Any advice, sites or vids you'd like to share?

Thank you.

Solution
I have not since prob the 3rd generation. I've taken many android tablets apart but not many apple ones. If I had to I'd do just what I said. I'd watch a bunch of videos until it was obvious what the right way is.

Other option is often those battery stores that sell replacements will replace it much cheaper. Could be an option if the price is right for you

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i usually watch a handful of youtube teardowns when i have to take apart such a thing.

watch 4 or 5 of them and you'll see what stays the same. that's how you know the right way. if it is like the older models and iphones it is not that hard, but i've not done it in a long while.

when you see 3 or 4 videos that are pretty much the same, that's how you know you have the right steps.

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Good advice. My concern is in one of the vids I watched the person used a hair dryer to loosen up the exterior glue seal. When I realized this thing had glue in it, I thought things could get messy. Plus I wasn't too keen on using a hair dryer. The heat could warp any plastic in it or ruin the glue. I have no clue, but I will keep watching the vids to find similarities.

Have you taken an iPad apart? It seems to be a closely guarded state secret. When it comes to pc's you just jump in but Apple's are shrouded in mystery.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I have not since prob the 3rd generation. I've taken many android tablets apart but not many apple ones. If I had to I'd do just what I said. I'd watch a bunch of videos until it was obvious what the right way is.

Other option is often those battery stores that sell replacements will replace it much cheaper. Could be an option if the price is right for you

Solution

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019

I'll check into it. Thanks for the info.